Windows 98 options?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
Hi everyone.

I am currently a Windows user, but I need a new laptop soon and I am looking seriously at switching to Apple. I like the idea of being able to run both Windows and OSX on the same machine. I have been browsing forums and the Apple site for information and realise there are a few options for this (Bootcamp, Parallels, CrossOver etc.)

I would like to know if there is any way of running Windows 98 on a Mac. I know that Bootcamp has been designed to run XP SP2. I have however, read from some people that other versions are bootable. Is this true? What is my best option (if any) for running 98 on a Mac?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i wouldnt suggest installing Win98 because it isnt too secure, and isnt really that great of an operating system at all.

now for installing win98 i dont even know if you can do it. there is that program that will allow you to install xp and then sp2 seperately if needed but im not sure if that program, or one similar, will be able to install win98
-chris

OP
Craig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
Yeah it is a bad system I know. However the situation at the moment is that I have a full version of Win98 and an upgrade to XP SP1. I don't even know if this configuration is able to be installed, but get this, I have LOST my XP disk. Got to be the most expensive thing I've lost. I am not up for buying another copy because it must be somewhere. I would like to be able to install 98 in the meantime though. I know that it's probable that I would have to buy a new full copy of XP, just wondering if there was any known workaround?

Thanks anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Only way you could do it is with Parallels (80 bucks)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
First of all you would need to slipstream sp2 into your XP upgrade CD, AND you would also have to be able to eject your XP cd while performing the install so you can insert your 98CD to confirm you have a valid previous version of windows.

The second step is not possible as far as I know since the windows pre installation environment does not support the eject key on Macs natively and you need to install the Boot camp drivers first, which you cant do because you don’t have windows installed yet..

I wouldn’t waste my time with 98, even if you did get it installed I find it highly unlikely you will be able to find drivers for Mac hardware for windows regardless if its Intel hardware or not.

Parrallels will work though with both your Windows 98 cd and your XP sp1 upgrade cd. But that is 80$ you could put toward a full version of Windows XP.

L

Logan

Noxian said:
I wouldn’t waste my time with 98, even if you did get it installed I find it highly unlikely you will be able to find drivers for Mac for windows 98 hardware regardless if its Intel hardware or not.

My thoughts exactly. Driver support for Win98 when you plop in mac hardware will be like introducing the muslums to christianity. Much conflict indeed.

OP
Craig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
Logan said:
My thoughts exactly. Driver support for Win98 when you plop in mac hardware will be like introducing the muslums to christianity. Much conflict indeed.

Lol. Thanks alot for the info guys. It looks like I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a full copy of XP and boot it using bootcamp. I wouldn't want to buy parallels, find out the whole setup is a mess, and then have to buy a full XP version. Thanks anyway :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.