A non-mac XP Installation question

Reaction score
Hello all

My question is totally out of keeping with this forum but seeing as most users here have good Windows knowledge i thought i'd give it a try.

My girlfriend has a Compaq PC that is a few years old and is acting up so i want to reinstall XP to give her a fresh start. The PC came with XP Home and a serial number stuck to the outside of the case but no installation or back-up cd.

I have an OEM XP home cd which i would like to use to install using her serial number so as to keep her all legal. My question is: Will her serial number work with any OEM install CD, her serial is an OEM serial so i am hoping there should be any problem.

Thanks
M

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The sticker on the Case of the Compaq is the COA. That is her Windows License. I have done the very thing you are going to try with a Dell and it worked. I had one issue once but normally if the Compaq came with an OEM which it probably did, Your OEM should work. Give it a try. It's can't hurt anything. It legal if it works as she has a licence to use one OEM Windows XP Home on that machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
As long as you have an XP Home license and an XP Home disk, it will work.. I used an XP home SP1 disk on my server, and used a "newer" XP Home COA and it worked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.