Browsing slow on OS X, fine on OS 9.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
About a week ago, our internet connection suddenly became really laggy. We have two OS X machines and two OS 9 macs on an ethernet network and the OS 9 machines are unaffected.

In Safari, when you enter an URL and press enter, it sits for about 6 seconds saying 'connecting to www.blah.com' and then either loads the page straight away or loads half of it, sits for another 6 seconds and finishes the job.

It's the same in Firefox and in Entourage it will do nothing for 6 or so agains before it will send or receive mail.

The internet connection itself is fine and it will download files fine at full speed.

I've tried resetting Safari, turning on/off pop up blocker and restarting the router (a Netgear DG632). The ethernet settings haven't been changed and they look fine. Like I say, one day everything worked, the next day it didn't!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You could try power-cycling (NOT the same thing as turning the router on and off) the entire setup. That is usually one of the first things to do in cases where connection quality has decreased.

Still, at least in my opinion, when it only takes 1/20 of a minute to load a website I still consider that very fast and certainly not very laggy. :black:

OP
Alexis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do you try power cycling?

1/20 of a minute is the time spent sat there doing nothing, before it even attempts to load the website :headphone If you imagine typing google.com and sitting and waiting for 6 seconds and then it appears, then you can see how irritating it is!

Reaction score
Alexis said:
How do you try power cycling?

1/20 of a minute is the time spent sat there doing nothing, before it even attempts to load the website :headphone If you imagine typing google.com and sitting and waiting for 6 seconds and then it appears, then you can see how irritating it is!

Hi Alexis,

Here's the run down on Power Cycling as opposed to turning the power off, then on again, as per D3v1L80Y's post:

To power cycle your router properly, simply unplug the power for at least one minute. Leaving it unplugged for this amount of time allows for routers and other DSL equipment to see that your line has dropped, and to reset themselves so they'll be ready to re-make the connection when you turn the router back on.

You may wish to take this time to reboot your computer as well, just in case the computer is causing the connection problem.

Plug the power back in, wait for 30 to 60 seconds as the router boots up, then attempt to access the Internet as you would normally. If everything works correctly, then you're ready to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Do a search for safari speedup tips... Safari has a built-in delay that causes it to wait before it attempts to retrieve a page. Search around and you should find the fix.

OP
Alexis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fixed it! After a bit of research I found that the DNS server files had probably become corrupt. I deleted them in the ethernet settings and it solved the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.