Fast User Switching - No Name appears in top right

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 1.33, Panther+ Lacie HD
Hello Ye Gurus,

We have three user accounts on our ibook. We have fast user switching enabled. In two of those accounts, we can see the user name at the top right hand of the screen, but in the third one, we can no longer see it.

We used to be able to see it, but I thinki it might have something to do with permissions, which I majorly, majorly messed up on one of the accounts (when trying to share some files).

I managed to fix most of the permissions, however this problem still remains. Now I am not saying for sure it has to do with permissions, but there is a pretty good chance that it is. I think the problem started around that time.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Hi,

Open up System Preferences and click the lock, enter your password if applicable, then click on the user in the left pane and click on the Login Options down the bottom of that pane, then look to your right, underneath Enable fast user switching, there is the View as with a drop-down menu next to it....

.......well, you pull down the menu and select either Icon, Name or Short Name.

This setting determines what the user sees in the top right hand corner of the screen next to the Spotlight magnifying glass.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick help.

But perhaps because I am using Panther this 'View' menu is not under 'enable fast user switching'. Any ideas? Probably an upgrade to Leapord will be the better!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Solved it. Enabled the faulty account as Admin of computer. Fast user switching name appeared in top right. Not sure how or why, but it worked. Haven't confirmed wether removal of admin rights would make name dissappear again...

Reaction score
In Tiger, you can either have your name, short name, or a silouhette icon of a person in the upper right hand corner.

I'm not sure about Panther as I leap-frogged from OS 8.6 - OS 10.4.7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.