imovie help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
I have to put together a "slideshow" with a group of pictures and some music. I need to be burned to DVD and able to play back on a reg dvd/tv combo.

imovie is nice but I can't adjust the timing of the theme elements and I really have trouble working with it.

Am I better off creating a slideshow sync to music in iphoto then export to dvd? I would not be able to use titles etc.

bone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
are you planning to make the slideshow like a self-contained movie?
have you used iDVD at all? I just upgraded to a macbook which has iDVD (I've never used it before) but I have a feeling that it may be more appropriate for your project.

I've used iMovie more extensively, and I find it very easy to work with. I think you are able to accurately synch image and audio - as each clip can be adjusted, trimmed and so forth. I'm guessing you know how to switch between the timeline view and clip order view (little switch on the left above the timeline) - that should allow you to tweak timing more accurately.

I generally don't like iPhoto all that much - I prefer to manage my photos manually as I know where I put everything then.

OP
boneheadz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtownley1 said:
are you planning to make the slideshow like a self-contained movie?
have you used iDVD at all? I just upgraded to a macbook which has iDVD (I've never used it before) but I have a feeling that it may be more appropriate for your project.

I've used iMovie more extensively, and I find it very easy to work with. I think you are able to accurately synch image and audio - as each clip can be adjusted, trimmed and so forth. I'm guessing you know how to switch between the timeline view and clip order view (little switch on the left above the timeline) - that should allow you to tweak timing more accurately.

I generally don't like iPhoto all that much - I prefer to manage my photos manually as I know where I put everything then.

I did not think of idvd. I was planning to build in imovie, music garageband, back to imove, to idvd. Is that too many steps, can idvd do it all?

bone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
not sure if iDVD can do it all, as I've not used it. Since I'm much more familiar with iMovie, I'd be sticking with that for now, since you can add all the media you want.

My old mac didn't have iDVD, but I vaguely recall being able to export from iMovie to iDVD to burn...somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think that may be a possibility...

Reaction score
Use iMovie to put the project together...import movie footage, music from GarageBand, then export to iDvd...

OP
boneheadz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pulse-8 said:
Use iMovie to put the project together...import movie footage, music from GarageBand, then export to iDvd...

Thanx for the help guys. I was able to put it together in imovie, I didn't need GB because there were no fancy sound track stuff to do. (I was not able to adjust the "theme element" length but don't know why) So far it works as a QT movie, now I have to put my two movies together and send it to idvd. I have had trouple with the audio before, but I think I have it figure out.

Again, thanx

bone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.