iPod,a broken HDD, and a pc

C

CWMac

Searched but couldnt find the answer so sorry if its been asked before.

My daughter has an Ipod Mini. Normally she uses her laptop(pc) and itunes. Recently the hdd went KABOOM! I replaced the HDD and tried but failed to resuurrect the old hdd, but to no avail ( it had the death click if anyone knows what i mean :) )

Now shes got an ipod full of music but cant somehow transfer them back to the hard drive. We searched for some software to do this but it seems we have to pay for that :(

Anyone any idea how we can load the songs back to her laptop with the new hard drive or has Apple not considered hardware failure before :( ?

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
How good are you with computers? You can do it through Linux, this is how I did it with my g/f's Ipod. Basically you just boot up into linux (you could probably use a bootable CD-ROM), and mount the Ipod. It shows up with 2 partitions, under OSX and Winblows you can only see and mount 1 of them, but on linux you can see the hidden one. You just mount it and copy over the files.

Sounds easy, well it is when you have been using various *NIX's for almost 10 years. ;)

--lifeafter2am

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.