core duo speed adjust

P

pr0vidence

Hello board.

brand new MacBook user here. So far I am loving it. I recently downloaded an application that monitors my macbook's temperature, processor utilization, and tells me how fast the processor is running. The range for my particular processor appears to be 1.0ghz to 2.0 ghz. I have been watching it, and even on battery power, it almost never drops below 1.5 ghz, even if it's just idle at the desktop with nothing but the essentials running.

My question is: is there another application, or is there a way to force the processor to run at a given speed? For example, on battery power, if I am just going to be chatting or browsing, I could force it to 1.0ghz to save battery as I don't need the extra horsepower. But if it's plugged in, or if I want to play a game, I can set it back onto auto and let OSx monitor it's speed.

Thanks
-pr0v

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but what is the app you are currently using?

P.S. Welcome to Mac Forums!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
As far as I know there is no specific way to force a particular speed, but you should check the power profile you have set for when on battery power. The default profile runs at about 1.5GHz normally, boosting to 1.83 or 2GHz on demand. The power saving mode lets it drop much lower, and dims the screen more quickly to save power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
The Core Duo is designed to only drop drastically in speed, if the system senses that it's overheating. So, whatever you see it drop to is as low as it's going to go, unless it gets too hot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.