How can I block/kick people off my network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I'm using an Airport Express, and because of situations with other users I WANT on my network, I can't use a WEP key. Unfortunately, this means unwanted users are on it as well. Is there any management software I can use to see who's signed into my network, and kick/block some of them? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
You can filter the MAC addresses on the router. You would however need the MAC addresses of the computers that you wanted on your router, easy enough though. The only problem here is if the person is smart enough, they can spoof their MAC address and then get on your network again. Personally I set up a VPN server on the other end of my router. So if you want to go anywhere (connect to a network share, printer, or go on the internet), you have to have both a username and a password, and the correct software. Its a little more of a pain, but the most secure way to use wireless. Plus, its what I do. :yinyang:

--lifeafter2am

Reaction score
This is something I would like to eventually try.

Would you have a HOW-TO for setting up a wireless network + VPN ? Or at least make it ultra-secure?

I don't want my brother's friends friendloading off of my bandwidth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
eth0=network card 1
eth1=network card 2

You would have your cable/dsl connection coming in on eth0, then plug your wireless card into eth1. I use custom iptables scripts to handle the routing and firewalling of the router. I would recommend shorewall (http://www.shorewall.net) if you dont understand iptables (I used it back in the day, its pretty cool). As for a VPN, I LOVE Openswan, its the most robust thing I have ever used, but its a to setup. That being said I would probably say to use OpenVPN, its pretty easy to set up and it supports a variety of platforms.

Just a little hint, I am doing all of this from Linux. This is what I use at work and at home, so its what I am used to. I can set up clients on any platform, but not VPN's, but as far as I am concerned this is not a job for winblows. :)

--lifeafter2am

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.