Just got macbook Never used a mac os before,few questions :)

V

vegasmtv

First im very impressed with the os, love it.

Had a few questions tho

1-I installed msn messenger.I downloaded a .dmg file, double clicked it and it installed it and now there is a file on my desktop called microsoft messenger, i moved the .dmg file into application and it wont allow me to copy the microsoft messenger icon (it looks like a portable hd) into application, it says i dont have permission. But i have the only account on this pc. I just realized that the icon for toast 7 also cant be moved from the desktop. Anything i can do?

2-Once i download a .dmg file and install the program on my desktop i get a .dmg file, an icon with the program name and sometimes an icon with the program logo all on my desktop, do i need to keep all these? or can i delete the .dmg file?

3-How do you delete a program as their seems to be no add/emove program option anywhere?

4-I have a version of messenger on my pc but it doesnt allow video chat, voice chat or even to buzz someone, is there a version that does? it just seems a waste as the mac book has built in camera and mic.

5-Anyone sugget a good torrent program for mac? i tried to download bit tornado but its in loads of files and i tried using a program called python but just couldnt fighure out what to do with all those files.

Thanks guys

almost forgot, when i have 3-4 internet windows open is there a way to toggle between them like you could on XP by holding ctrl and pressing tab??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
aMsn supports video chat on the Mac.

Once you have installed anything via a .dmg you can then just put it in your trash.

To install a programme on the Mac, just open the .dmg by double clicking it. Then either run the installer if there is one, or just drag the programme icon to your applications folder on your hard drive.

To uninstall a programme on the Mac just put it in your trash and then empty it.

If you want the application to appear in your dock, just drag it from the applications folder into the dock and then you can always open it from there.

Personally I use Tomato Torrent.

Hope this helps
pphking

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2ghz, 2 gigs ram, 60 gig hdd / 12" powerbook 1.0ghz r.i.p.
vegasmtv said:
almost forgot, when i have 3-4 internet windows open is there a way to toggle between them like you could on XP by holding ctrl and pressing tab??

Turn on 'tabbed browsing' in safari. If you weren't running firefox on your wintel machine you are probably new to this concept. You're going to LOVE it!

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
vegasmtv said:
First im very impressed with the os, love it.

Had a few questions tho

1-I installed msn messenger.I downloaded a .dmg file, double clicked it and it installed it and now there is a file on my desktop called microsoft messenger, i moved the .dmg file into application and it wont allow me to copy the microsoft messenger icon (it looks like a portable hd) into application, it says i dont have permission. But i have the only account on this pc. I just realized that the icon for toast 7 also cant be moved from the desktop. Anything i can do?
what you need to do is drag the file within that disk image (aka .DMG) and drop it into your applications folder, that is what you need to drag and drop in order to install...not the physical dmg

2-Once i download a .dmg file and install the program on my desktop i get a .dmg file, an icon with the program name and sometimes an icon with the program logo all on my desktop, do i need to keep all these? or can i delete the .dmg file?
feel free to delete the dmg, you can always redownload it if you need to

3-How do you delete a program as their seems to be no add/emove program option anywhere?
just drag it to the trash and then empty your trash. yes it is that easy and i wrote up a really good thing on a different forum but i cant post it here....long story

4-I have a version of messenger on my pc but it doesnt allow video chat, voice chat or even to buzz someone, is there a version that does? it just seems a waste as the mac book has built in camera and mic.
ichat does video messaging. tell us what program you are using. you might be able to use adiumX.

5-Anyone sugget a good torrent program for mac? i tried to download bit tornado but its in loads of files and i tried using a program called python but just couldnt fighure out what to do with all those files.
cant normally talk abou tthis much but azureus is a good program

Thanks guys

command(the apple key)+ ` (the tilde key below esc)

ENJOY YOUR MAC!
-chris

Reaction score
i have a quick question (im on the same boat, first time mac user, i love it btw!)

oaky well in window .. you know when your doing networking, you can do '\\computername'

to goto that computer for the share folder...

how do you do that in mac besides hacing to goto network -> click on workgroup -> find the pc ..

and also is there a way i can connect to this server on boot.. so i dont have to keep doing it over and over again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
robz, putting your question in somebody elses thread is considered quite rude, and is likely to get your question unanswered :( Stick it in a new thread if it's unrelated to the original poster's question.

In brief, though, what you need is:

smb://computername

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
vegasmtv said:

to tab between windows of the same program just press

apple + ~

(tilde, abve the tab key, next to the number 1)

Reaction score
I have been using Opera as my main web browser in Windows for many years.

I am now using the Mac version, and Alt + Tab toggles between the open tabs; and Apple + Tab works like Alt + Tab in Windows to switch among open windows.

OP
B

bigben

Hi Vegasmtv.
About the bittorrent-client; Azureus dont natively run on intel macs, so i just want to recommend another client to you. Bits on Wheels! I have tried Tomato and personally i think it sucks bigtime.. So try it :) But by the time Azureus gets UB, I think it will be the best client there is :headphone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.