MacBook Pro Broken!!

M

maclover

I just recently upgraded my laptop to the new 15" Macbook Pro (fully loaded). I had it sitting on the ledge at the bottom of my stairs and my girlfriends best friend knocked it off and it fell about 4 feet. I told her it was fine because she was practically crying, but the screen is broken and when hooked up to an external monitor, it boots up to my background image but nothing else shows up. Any ideas?

I have the extended AppleCare program, but I think I am out of luck. Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
AppleCare will not apply in a case like this, sorry.
The only thing that would possibly cover accidental damage like that is if the notebook was previously covered under a Homeowners/Renters insurance policy.

OP
M

maclover

D3v1L80Y said:
AppleCare will not apply in a case like this, sorry.
The only thing that would possibly cover accidental damage like that is if the notebook was previously covered under a Homeowners/Renters insurance policy.

Shoot, I figured this would be the case.

Any ideas on what is actually broken so I know what to try and get fixed or am I going to have to fork out another 3 grand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Insert the disk 1 that came with your mac. Wait for the startup chime and hold down the 'D' key.

That will boot into the hardware test app that can analyze your system and check your harddrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
maclover said:
I just recently upgraded my laptop to the new 15" Macbook Pro (fully loaded). I had it sitting on the ledge at the bottom of my stairs and my girlfriends best friend knocked it off and it fell about 4 feet. I told her it was fine because she was practically crying, but the screen is broken and when hooked up to an external monitor, it boots up to my background image but nothing else shows up. Any ideas?

I have the extended AppleCare program, but I think I am out of luck. Please help!

9 times out of 10, home owners or renters insurance will cover something like this. Every item I own is covered, even for accidental damage, with a $250 deductible. If you don't have such insurance, then it looks like you're screwed. :(

I never, ever, EVER set my Powerbook somewhere where there's even the slightest possibility of it being knocked off. Lesson learned though, I suppose. Sorry mate!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
i feel your pain man....that sucks. just try to get the guts working now, and worry about the screen later. Try to a hardware test, as mentioned above...then maybe a re-install. I doubt that you cracked the logicboard (though possible), but you could have broken the hard drive fairly easily. sorry to hear about this....i would be in tears like a little girl....

OP
M

maniacmook

If your homeowners insurance doesnt cover it, just tell your gf best friend she can never come back, lol j/k. But I would think your homeowners insurance will cover it or maybe you can work something out with apple and get a refurb unit monitor. Im sure you arent going to have to shell out 3 grand.........or at least I would hope you wouldnt have to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz; 200 GB Toshiba 7k200; 2 GB stock RAM; Leopard 10.5.3
If it is just the screen boot it up with an external display plugged in. From the external display you will know when it is at the startup screen. Hit tab once, hit enter; ente your password and hit enter. You should be able to log in. Once in try to see if you can toggle mirror display with your keyboard, its fn+F7. If not create a new folder or see if you can pull some desktop item from the other display from the folder you can access finder and the spotlight search tool, search stuff like display or system preferences ect. On the display control panel you should get a control panel for each monitor meaning there will be one on the external too. From there you can select mirror display. With mirror display on you have full access to you Mac. I suggest you get an external hard drive and run disk utility to copy off everything onto the external Hard drive. Get a new macbook pro or whatever mac you want and disk utility the stuff from you external HD onto the new computer. Remember to run the disk utility from the CD on you new computer. Done. Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I know theres some third party websites out there that will repair your screen, etc. I don't think its cheap, but probably cheaper than apple fixing it.

Reaction score
i know this is sad and all, but can you please post some pics of the damage??? thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
This thread is 2 years old and I don't think the OP is actively following it...

Reaction score
My laptop has been dropt from my bed and into the floor, my first time. When that happened it made such a strange noise, the one where it has the bee noise, and then everything turned normal, then i was walking up the stairs (a year later) and then i fell and the laptop fell on the step, that was the second time then everything is normal. But you're problem is very hard, you might need to buy a new one or else you might take it to Apple Retail Store and they might replace it with a new screen in the factory and i think its going to cost you.

Reaction score
If it is just the screen boot it up with an external display plugged in. From the external display you will know when it is at the startup screen. Hit tab once, hit enter; ente your password and hit enter. You should be able to log in. Once in try to see if you can toggle mirror display with your keyboard, its fn+F7.

It was very useful for me!
But on my macbook pro keyboard's combination is command+f1

Thanks a lot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.