archive

Reaction score
is there any archiving software to make directories or files in tar (archives)?

I used Terminal, with the command.. tar -cfpv filename.tar foldername

and it gives me an error. If I removed the -p then it will work fine, but I want to keep the file permissions. Any idea why i'm getting an error?

I don't really want to spend 50 bucks on the Stuffit software to just do that. If anyone can tell me if i'm doing something wrong or if there is some freeware out there, please let me know :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
What specific error do you get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
I'm a Solaris engineer and if you do the tar -cvf in Solaris, it will keep your permissions....

You could always try it and then do an xvf in another dir and see if it kept perms....

Tim

OP
U
Reaction score
mac747 said:
I'm a Solaris engineer and if you do the tar -cvf in Solaris, it will keep your permissions....

You could always try it and then do an xvf in another dir and see if it kept perms....

Tim

if i could get that far...lol

It doesn't give me an error.. just pauses and brings me back to the prompt. No file is created.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
unplugged said:
if i could get that far...lol

It doesn't give me an error.. just pauses and brings me back to the prompt. No file is created.

Oh, you said if you remove the -p it works fine. So it really doesn't?

What dir are you trying to tar? I can try it here and see if I have the same issue. I would think if it was a problem with perms, it would give you an error....

Oh and now that I read my first reply, I wasn't trying to brag or something about being a Solaris Engineer lol, I was just letting you know I do this at least once a week and know how it works in Solaris...

Tim

OP
U
Reaction score
mac747 said:
Oh, you said if you remove the -p it works fine. So it really doesn't?

What dir are you trying to tar? I can try it here and see if I have the same issue. I would think if it was a problem with perms, it would give you an error....

Oh and now that I read my first reply, I wasn't trying to brag or something about being a Solaris Engineer lol, I was just letting you know I do this at least once a week and know how it works in Solaris...

Tim

If i remove the -p, it will tar it fine. If I add the -p, it won't do anything. It doesn't matter which directory.

OP
U
Reaction score
if i remove the -v and do -cfp, then i get an error

cannot stat: no such file or directory

if i do -cvf it works fine.. i don't get why the -p gives me problems

OP
U
Reaction score
figured it out.. but this is really, really weird..

on my linux machine, i have to use tar -cvpf and on the mac tar -cpfv

it seems the way you arrange the letters can make it work or not work which I find odd. But at least now I know what to do :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The f has to be in the last position, it is the only option looking for an argument (directory path).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.