Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide

U

UncSki1218

There are many ways to run Windows on a Mac. As more and more Windows people switch, more of them will still want to use Windows for various apps and programs. This guide runs through all of the options with their pros and cons.

Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac (PowerPC Only)

Not a great option, but one of the few for PowerPC people. Emulates a PC chip and runs Windows in a separate window on the OS X desktop. It can be bought with a copy of Windows included. Copy of Windows is required.

Pros: Can use both OS's at the same time
Cons: High price, very slow

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...?pid=virtualpc

Apple Boot Camp (Intel Only)

An installer created by Apple that runs you through installing Windows on your Intel equipped Mac. It creates a partition and installs Windows on that partition. Copy of Windows XP SP2 is required.

Pros: Full speed, actually running Windows (no emulation involved)
Cons: Reboot is required to switch between OS X and Windows

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Parallels Desktop for Mac (Intel Only)

An app that installs Windows but runs it in its own Window. You can use it and OS X at the same time. It can also install some older versions of Windows as well as Linux. Copy of Windows XP SP2 is required.

Pros: Close to full speed, Can use both OS's at the same time
Cons: Requires a lot of RAM

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

CrossOver Mac (Intel Only)

An app that lets you install and run Windows applications without Windows. Copy of Windows is not required.

Pros: Low price/free, Do not have to purchase a copy of Windows
Cons: You don't have Windows

http://www.codeweavers.com/beta/cxmac/

Darwine/WINE (PowerPC or Intel)

Similar to CrossOver Mac. Lets you run Windows applications without Windows. Copy of Windows is not required.

Pros: Low price/free, Do not have to purchase a copy of Windows
Cons: You don't have Windows

http://darwine.opendarwin.org/

All additional information/comments/suggestions are welcome.

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
Well - I decided what the hey...I downloaded Darwine to give it a spin. If it doesn't work well for me then I'll just trash it...I'll let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
Ok - Well I tried Darwine, couldn't get it to load and run for some reason...So I tried Crossover - loaded it, it installed one of my programs but I couldn't run the program after that - don't know why.
I'm a bit too new to the Mac to know how to do everything. The drag and install bit is actually confusing, lol - oi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Can you run both Boot Camp and Parallels on the same machine, using the same Windows XP install for both?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
How about we move this to the windows, bootcamp and other OS's forum and make it a sticky there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
rogerinlondon said:
Can you run both Boot Camp and Parallels on the same machine, using the same Windows XP install for both?
No. Bootcamp actually creates a partition on your internal drive. Parallels creates a virtual hard drive (it shows up as a file of whatever size you set windows to have) wherever you want it (Can store the vhdd's on external which is nice) but they definitely can't run off of a single install

OP
U

UncSki1218

As he said you can't. I have heard that Parallels is going to work on being able to do that...

-Chris

Reaction score
I have a question, if I install Windows via Apple Bootcamp is it goingto slow down my iMac? I only have 512 RAM right now, would I need to upgrade to make it work right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Nope. Bootcamp enables you to run windows natively, on its own.

So it'd be the same as installing windows xp on a dell box with 512MB ram.

You're probably thinking of paralells, which lets you run both OS's at the same time. In that case I'd recommend at least 1GB of RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
Well - I don't know about anyone else, but I have yet to be able ot successfully install and run any program on Crossover or Darwine - any version.

Lack of manual, help or other instructions is the hinderance.

Main problem with Crossover - winxp bottle was never recognized by the program to be installed.

Main problem with Darwine - once you install it onto your system how to you use it to install programs to your computer? This is where a help or instruction manual is keen - but there isnt one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I have 2001 (I think) XP Proffessional CD-ROMS... Can I use these through Bootcamp???

They don't (obviously) have the SP2 on the disks, but can I load them, then download SP2 from Microsoft?

OP
S

Sondzin

Is anyone running Parallels? I am considering a switch and would like to know how well it runs? I have been told that the Mac OSX is much faster than Windows? Does Windows run faster on the Mac Pro or iMac? What are some people's experiences?
What does it mean when they say "close to full speed"? Full speed of the Mac or what I may be used to on my PC? Any limitations on what programs can be used or is it just like Windows--anything I can run on my PC box I can run under Windows using Parallels?

OP
L

lovinthehomegro

is there any way to make your own copy of Windows XP SP2 and load it with boot camp? Or do you have to have the licensed copy from Microsoft?

I have all of the right files, just not on an official disk.

OP
G

Guardian

Sondzin, I am running parallels and in my estimation it runs windows on this machine (imac 2.16) faster then windows runs on my amd 3500+. So far it runs my Office suite perfectly.

OP
G

Guardian

You will probably need the disk, at the very least a cd key so you can activate it.

OP
F

freakout

I've always wanted to try this, but the only Windows XP SP2 disk I have is the "system restore" disks when I bought my HP computer about a year or 2 ago. Would those work or do I have to have a full version thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz
system restore disks

I've always wanted to try this, but the only Windows XP SP2 disk I have is the "system restore" disks when I bought my HP computer about a year or 2 ago. Would those work or do I have to have a full version thing?

If it is possible to re-install windows on your PC on a formatted drive, then you have yourself a useable copy. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.