Open Office and X11

Reaction score
Was just trying to install Open Office and it told me I needed X11 to be installed first. I thought X11 was already on Mac. Is anyone out there using Open Office that can clue me in? I am running Mac 10.3.9. Thanks!

Reaction score
PapaNoHair said:
Was just trying to install Open Office and it told me I needed X11 to be installed first. I thought X11 was already on Mac. Is anyone out there using Open Office that can clue me in? I am running Mac 10.3.9. Thanks!

X11 is an optional Program located on the install disk of OS X. Just load up the CD and run the install optional software which should have the X11.app program. You can also download it from apples Website http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/x11formacosx.html

T

TheMonkey

PapaNoHair said:

I've just tried NeoOffice thanks to someone on here. It's a native port of OpenOffice to Aqua rather than using X11, which is a bit clunky.

http://www.neooffice.org/

Reaction score
PapaNoHair said:
Hmm, fasinating - does it have a database with it also?

Yep, it's got them all and you don't need to install X11 to run NeoOffice...if you don't want the added hassles of working with X11 then go with Neo.

Reaction score
jamin said:
X11 is an optional Program located on the install disk of OS X. Just load up the CD and run the install optional software which should have the X11.app program. You can also download it from apples Website http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/x11formacosx.html

Just to clarify...the downloaded x11 is not for Tiger. If you have Tiger then it's on one of the install disc

Apologies for the double-post...doesn't appear to be a delete post option to use in these circumstances...

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
Pulse-8 said:
Yep, it's got them all and you don't need to install X11 to run NeoOffice...if you don't want the added hassles of working with X11 then go with Neo.

Have not had a chance to give it a good road test (just installed it) but so far you are right. Runs circles around OO! Thanks for the tip! Only problem encountered was in trying to install the patch.

Reaction score
PapaNoHair said:
Have not had a chance to give it a good road test (just installed it) but so far you are right. Runs circles around OO! Thanks for the tip! Only problem encountered was in trying to install the patch.

You're most welcome! :headphone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.