Tiger, no classic mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3.2ghz/4TB/16GBram - Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz Intel 2 duo core/4GBram/750GB
I recently did a clean install of Tiger, omitting the classic mode in hopes of streamlining my workflow. It worked, but now I'm having a problem with certain a classic game I love to play, Starcraft. I've downloaded the patch from Blizzard which allows you to play it without classic mode, but it keeps disconnecting me in the middle of games, and disconnects are frowned upon.

My question is, can I go back and install the classic mode without a clean install?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Yes, you should be able to if your system is able to Mac OS classic.

OP
Bmode
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3.2ghz/4TB/16GBram - Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz Intel 2 duo core/4GBram/750GB
Rman, thanks for the quick reply, but I don't understand your solution. I have a G4 Quicksilver, which is OS9 compatible, in fact it came with OS 9, but I surfed the Apple website and found out once you have Tiger installed WITHOUT the classic mode, you can't go back and re-install classic mode without doing a clean install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Bmode said:
Rman, thanks for the quick reply, but I don't understand your solution. I have a G4 Quicksilver, which is OS9 compatible, in fact it came with OS 9, but I surfed the Apple website and found out once you have Tiger installed WITHOUT the classic mode, you can't go back and re-install classic mode without doing a clean install.
I will try to clarify here. Contrary to what some might think, "Classic" is NOT the same as OS 9. Yes, you can enter the "Classic" environment if you have a computer capable of running OS 9 natively and have it installed on a volume or partition. Yet if you had a computer that isn't capable of running OS 9 natively, you can still run "Classic".

In other words:

If you wanted to install OS 9 from an OS 9 disc for your "Classic" environment, then no... you can't install it after Tiger without doing a clean, fresh install.

On the other hand, if you had something like a PowerBook G4 that came with Tiger installed... then the restore/install discs would have "Classic" included on the disc that you can install after Tiger is already installed.

Hope that makes a little more sense.
:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.