LEGAL music downloading...besides itunes

Reaction score
i need help finding a LEGAL (meaning i'll pay a monthly fee) music downloading program that'll work well with my macbook pro. i know some programs don't allow putting the songs into my ipod, but i think that's just ridiculous and a waste of money.

my other computer (pc) crashed and all my songs are gone forever. so i'd rather not pay $1 per song. is there anything that allows for unlimited downloading for like $10 or less/month? that i can also put into my ipod?

i've heard about acquisition. is it ok to use if i pay that registration fee? (are there corrupt files and such?) i'm not sure...and if i unistall the program, will the songs be deleted as well? in my shameful illegal limewire days, after i got rid of the program, a lot of the songs didn't play.
and i've also read up on kazaa gold (you pay like $2/mo) and a couple others like that.
which is the best to use?

i heard itunes may be getting a subscription-based program too, so if that happens, i'll be all for it, but i need help finding a program now.

THANKS!

oh and another thing about the programs...can i access international songs? ...like korean songs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Depending on what you listen too and what you are willing to pay, there is emusic. Its not a unlimited download service though, but I use it to find a lot of stuff that itunes doesn't have, not to mention no stupid DRM. Its $20 / 90 songs, which isn't bad considering what itunes wants. I don't like most of the pay a flat fee and get unlimited downloads, they usually don't have anything that I want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I don't think there are any subscription based services compatible with iPods as of now. The biggest problem with subscription based services is that once you stop paying the subscription you lose the music.

I don't think Acquisition is a legitimate service (What real company/service uses PayPal and doesn't say what you get for purchasing the license)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
Didnt they just launch one from universal where its all free and paid for by advertising, I cant remember the name though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i would just buy the cd or song(s) from a shop in the street or from iTunes.

it maybe more expensive but you get the album work file and quite good quality AND its reliable!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
my other computer (pc) crashed and all my songs are gone forever. so i'd rather not pay $1 per song

3 B's for you: backup backup backup.

I know hindsight is always easy, but that's the only way you're going to protect your data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
itls legel to download in canada,, as long as you dont upload its fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
Sorry to hear about your computer crashing, if I lost my media collection I'd be in bed for days.

There's no way going through a data recovery service to recover information on your hard drive?

allofmp3, while not legal, is probably your cheapest iPod compatible option, but then again you might as well use BitTorrent which is just as legal and free. Otherwise, your best option is iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
slyseeker said:
Sorry to hear about your computer crashing, if I lost my media collection I'd be in bed for days.

There's no way going through a data recovery service to recover information on your hard drive?

allofmp3, while not legal, is probably your cheapest iPod compatible option, but then again you might as well use BitTorrent which is just as legal and free. Otherwise, your best option is iTunes.

allofmp3 is legal.

You're downloading from Russia, which has VERY DIFFERENT laws, when it comes to music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Sobe said:
allofmp3 is legal.

You're downloading from Russia, which has VERY DIFFERENT laws, when it comes to music.
It's not legal in the US. Just because the site is hosted in Russia doesn't mean you have to abide by Russian laws. allofmp3 is the reason that Russia won't be admitted into the WTO. The equivalent of the DMCA in Russia makes it legal in Russia, but allofmp3 has never gotten artist permission to put any of the songs online.

"The user bears sole responsibility for any use and distribution of all materials received from AllOFMP3.com. This responsibility is dependent on the national legislation in each user's country of residence. The Administration of AllOFMP3.com does not possess information on the laws of each particular country and is not responsible for the actions of foreign users."

Some more reading on the topic

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7591.cfm
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5051826.stm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
trpnmonkey41 said:
It's not legal in the US. Just because the site is hosted in Russia doesn't mean you have to abide by Russian laws. allofmp3 is the reason that Russia won't be admitted into the WTO. The equivalent of the DMCA in Russia makes it legal in Russia, but allofmp3 has never gotten artist permission to put any of the songs online.

"The user bears sole responsibility for any use and distribution of all materials received from AllOFMP3.com. This responsibility is dependent on the national legislation in each user's country of residence. The Administration of AllOFMP3.com does not possess information on the laws of each particular country and is not responsible for the actions of foreign users."

Some more reading on the topic

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7591.cfm
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5051826.stm

I'm sorry I didn't say if it was legal everywhere .

I assumed the OP would have done the required reading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
I went through this, too ...

www.rhapsody.com is an online service that allows you to stream music - unlimited - for 9.99/mth and if you want to buy a track it's .89/song.

Hopefully they'll get around to offering a computer-run version for mac, soon.

Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
I don't think there are any subscription based services compatible with iPods as of now. The biggest problem with subscription based services is that once you stop paying the subscription you lose the music.

I don't think Acquisition is a legitimate service (What real company/service uses PayPal and doesn't say what you get for purchasing the license)

yeah, a lot of people don't realize that the business model is a cashflow model; it gives me the creeps thinking of all the crap they put on your 'puter spy ware wise to keep track of 'their property' (remember, you're just renting it for your subscription price). thats why most of those services sell their own media players or have firmware for a PC mp3 player.

iPod don't play that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
A couple of places that you can download from at a per song fee and not subscription services are Amazon.com and WalMart.com. I'm not sure if their audio works with iPods though, I assume it does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.