Changing Icons

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
I keep getting magazine disks with different icons to use instead of the standard Apple ones, how do I change them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i would like to know this as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
1. Select (don't open) the file whose I con you want to change. Press CMD+i to open the Info screen for that file.

2. Repeat the same step on the icon file you want to apply to your file in step 1.

3. On the icon file, select the actual icon in the upper left hand corner of the Information Screen. Then press CMD+c (to copy the icon).

Note: It is a little difficult to determine when the icon is selected. If it is selected you will notice a slightly bolder outline around the icon.

4. Select the default icon of the file from step 1. Press CMD+v to paste the icon.

5. Close the info screens.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool but before I start chaning things how do I undo something and put it back to the original condition.

Ive just been downloading some icons and i can see this is going to b as addictive as widgets

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
davetheblaze said:
Cool but before I start chaning things how do I undo something and put it back to the original condition.

Ive just been downloading some icons and i can see this is going to b as addictive as widgets

CMD+i --> select icon --> DELETE

Deletes your custom icon and reverts to original.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
FYI:You actually dont gave to get info on the new icon you can just command C over the icon you want to use. Then paste over the old one in the info window. Just a little quicker.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I get this to work for the trash bin icon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
To change the Trash icon, you can try the app CandyBar. Or, to manually do it, take a look at this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
yeah, I used candy bar to change my system icons - great little app which is very easy to use (drag and drop icons onto the respective item.) I noticed it's a bit iffy when it comes to changing some app icons, but they can be done manually later. I think it also has a 'restore' feature, so you can retrieve all the original icons.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.