iChat problems!

C

cvclover

So my friend and I are both trying to connect with iChat with our macbooks, but it says theres a communication error! Both of us accept the invitations, but it says "starting video chat" then gives the communication error. Why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
what type of connections are both of you guys running? i know video chats can be temperamental if both connections aren't sufficient.

you mention "both of us accept the invitations"; only one of you should need to send a request to have a video chat, the other should accept.

OP
C

cvclover

yeah one sends, the other accepts. my friend said he connects fine with his roomate who also has a macbook... could it be my school's firewall? No audio or video is possible... yet I can do AIM audio chat through AIM only. When I run AIM through iChat, not even the audio works....

Reaction score
iChatAV and hotels?

I cannot get connected when I am on a wireless network in a hotel. My family accepts at home, but we get a communication failure, just like mentioned above. "Friends" have told me it is because of a firewall config at the hotel, though I cannot verify this. These friends told me that if I can get a "public" ip from the hotel network, it might help... no luck so far. dying to video chat with my family, since I'm gone half of the year.

I have tried skype for mac with video and the audio works great, the video won't work at all - it crashed skype on my computer.

Would love to hear some suggestions to work-around the alleged firewall issue with hotel networks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.