Maximum RAM Size IMac 233

M

marcbyron

Hi there,

I just tried to upgrade my old IMac from 64MB to 192MB (using one 128MB module), but it seems to causing problems in OSX. The specifications on apple.com say the maximum of RAM size is 128MB, other sources tell me it's 256MB.

While I can see the RAM size of192MB, programs are crashing or the Mac freezes. When I remove the 64MB and just keep the 128MB in there, everything works fine.

Any ideas why this happens?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
well the revision A which is what you have has a max of 256 mb of ram

are you using the right speed of ram?

the bondi blue iMac uses PC66 144 pin SO-DIMMS

OP
S

sLiCk_InCoNtRoL

You have an imac 233, base RAM was 32 mb, max RAM 256, 2 Slots, 144 pin so-dimm 10ns and they SHOULD COME IN GROUPS OF 1! - By the way I know all of that stuff about any machine apple created if you need to make an enquirey post here! (I should charge)

OP
M

milfmann

I didn't see where you said you had a Rev. A, but in any case, my suggestion would be to try a new module, as the 64MB one you have may be defective. Although the Apple site says that the maximum is 256MB, this machine can actually take 512MB, which is what I have. I have a Rev. B with two 256MB, PC100, 3.3V, 144-pin, SO-DIMM modules running Panther with no problems. Make sure you have the right specs on the RAM and make sure you buy a low profile module for the AASP slot under the motherboard. Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.