Another Pleased Switcher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
I was a Dosshell girl, born and raised - Dosshell was basic, simple, it worked.
C prompt was basic, simple, it worked - though it did require knowledge that most don't have - I learned the basics, anyway. I was happy.
The my father fell into Windows.
I hated Windows from the first version I used - 3.1 - up to XP
I've used them all, I hated them all - they all suffered the same problems.

My old computer finally bit the dust - at first it was constant windows problems - no big surprise there, but then it was hardware problems, outdated drivers that had no available updates. The system became so messed up it wouldn't even allow me to fix erors in safe-mode, which was my only crutch for a while. The USB ports started to go - resulting in endless runs of restarting to get online and handle business. I needed to get another computer, but I didn't want to get an expensive POS that would just sap out on me, again.
Every time I've bought a new computer w/i the next two years it failed to hold up to my standards - which aren't very high:
1: Get online, do business. 2: Be updateable. 3: Be quiet when it runs. 4: Run smoothly even when installing programs and rearranging menu layout. 5: No error messages when booting up - especially if it's a deadend message that tells me of a problem but gives me no clue how to fix it.

So - now that I've gone through 8 computers in the last 15 years due to physical and operational problems I decided I had enough of the Bill Gates merry-go-round - I hopped off completely.
After months of considering it, mulling over what programs I'd have to replace in order to switch (even with the newer technology - there are some old programs that just won't run no matter what). Eventually, I realized that it was the only way to go. Eventhough there are a few things I have to replace - its just a small drop in the bucket of time-saving.
So - last week I finally purchased my Mac Mini.
It was delivered yesterday and it took me all of 30 minutes to set it up and get online.

I'm addicted to the setup of the system - everything has been thought through quite well, it makes sense, and it runs smooth and quiet.
I've had no troubles getting use to a different setup. In fact, I've found that my Mac makes more sense than Win ever did.

I'm addicted to the Widgets - by far one of the best features of the Mac.
I have all my essentials in one-click access - easy to download, add to, delete and use. Reading news headlines and keeping up to date international issues has never been so quick and fun.

And I'm thrilled with how quickly it starts up - not even a minute to boot, and that's after installing all my own programs.
I believe my recently deceased computer would take over 5minutes to boot - on a good day and only if I didn't have to abruptly shut down the comp mid cycle.

My Mac is money well spent, I'm quite pleased. I wish I did this a long time ago.
And now I can just laugh when my Dad complains about having to reinstall his programs and debug is files.

I'm placing a bet - he goes 2 more months before he decides to switch over, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz Intel Dual Core 13" Macbook, 2gb RAM, 80GB HD, Smartdisk, etc.; 30gb iPod Video
From one switcher to another - welcome to the fold. I ordered my Macbook (specs to the side) on the 2nd, and I'm still eagerly waiting for it. I've got programs, wallpaper, and even a case just waiting for it whenever it gets here. :)

Reaction score
welcome! i just joined this little community a month or two ago.

life on my Mac is pretty good.

read the 'software' sticky;
adium, parallels and quicksilver are your friends. in fact, with parallels, my transition is SEAMLESS. i can do anything i need to do in windows and get back to my user friendly interface. its like... driving to detroit to get business done or see a game, then coming back to my nice suburb :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.