isight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
Hi,

Anyone know why the isight isn't on the UK Apple store. Was gonna buy one but can't fnd it!

Cheers

Ad :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
The rumor is that a new iSight might be released on the 12th.. so that could be the reason :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
excellent - will wait til the 12th then ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Do the rumors indicate what is new and exciting about the new iSight?

I currently have one, and have always wished the resolution was higher - megapixel vs. 640x480. Have you heard anything about this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Nope not really there hasn't been much speculation at this point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
funny you ask, i remember hearing something about this on a podcast.
this is taken from the show notes of Adam Christianson's MacCast

-in regards to the future of the iSight...
"Cannot be sold in the EU because it contains components that are on a list of banned substances for import
Directive on the Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances (RoHS) adopted in 2003 and went into effect July 1st, 2006
Other "banned" products include, AirPort Extreme Base Stations (not Express), iPod shuffle External Battery Pack and the eMac."

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BigBear said:
funny you ask, i remember hearing something about this on a podcast.
this is taken from the show notes of Adam Christianson's MacCast

-in regards to the future of the iSight...
"Cannot be sold in the EU because it contains components that are on a list of banned substances for import
Directive on the Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances (RoHS) adopted in 2003 and went into effect July 1st, 2006
Other "banned" products include, AirPort Extreme Base Stations (not Express), iPod shuffle External Battery Pack and the eMac."

I read that after a bit of googling. Surely though they are going to address that in the new release?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I am going to attempt to connect a few threads here. Apple is going to make a major product announcement on Tuesday that they say will change the face of home entertainment.

My speculation is that the announcement will involve iPod and Mac Mini updates. For the Mac Mini, it will be a DVR enabled Mac Mini, likely to be powered by a low end Merom chip. I further speculate that this will be coupled with a wireless enabled iPod which can stream music and video over the air to the Mac Mini, for playback on your stereo/TV depending on the media type.

Some of this makes great sense. With the new iMacs out, the Mini has to be getting a refresh soon. People have been clamoring forever it seems to add DVR capability to the Mac Mini, turning it into a bit of a home entertainment hub. Finally, Microsoft is about to come out with their Zune player, which is being positioned directly against the iPod, and which features wireless capabilities.

Take all that, couple it with Apple's "change the face of home entertainment" comment, and you can draw the conclusion I speculate on above. There may be other explanations as well, but this one is a good one IMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
mac57 said:
OK, I am going to attempt to connect a few threads here. Apple is going to make a major product announcement on Tuesday that they say will change the face of home entertainment.

My speculation is that the announcement will involve iPod and Mac Mini updates. For the Mac Mini, it will be a DVR enabled Mac Mini, likely to be powered by a low end Merom chip. I further speculate that this will be coupled with a wireless enabled iPod which can stream music and video over the air to the Mac Mini, for playback on your stereo/TV depending on the media type.

Some of this makes great sense. With the new iMacs out, the Mini has to be getting a refresh soon. People have been clamoring forever it seems to add DVR capability to the Mac Mini, turning it into a bit of a home entertainment hub. Finally, Microsoft is about to come out with their Zune player, which is being positioned directly against the iPod, and which features wireless capabilities.

Take all that, couple it with Apple's "change the face of home entertainment" comment, and you can draw the conclusion I speculate on above. There may be other explanations as well, but this one is a good one IMHO.

You didn't directly refer to the iSight which is what this thread is about. I do not think they will be adding an iSight in the mac mini, in any way. I do think that they will release an iSight with different materials that are not aggainst the uk's new regulation.

P

pbook24

mac57 said:

you must not be very smart. apple updated the mini on wednesday, they wouldnt then update it again 6 days later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pbook24 said:
you must not be very smart. apple updated the mini on wednesday, they wouldnt then update it again 6 days later.

I completely forgot they did that. I don't even know what they updated. I haven't looked.

P

pbook24

i was referring more to mac57 who has been posting his "theory" all over the boards and he doesn't know what hes talking about

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Folks, no need to attack. You are right, I did not know that the mini had been upgraded, so I am guilty of not being completely current. The rest is hopeful thinking on my behalf. No need to be nasty about it. Yes I was wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pbook24 said:
i was referring more to mac57 who has been posting his "theory" all over the boards and he doesn't know what hes talking about
I know.

Mac57, don't worry about it, I was not attacking you in any way, and I am sure pbook24 feels the same way. We thank you for your information, and thank you for your theory, if sounded good until I found out that the mac mini's were already updated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.