Sli on mac pros

Cam

Reaction score
Ok, I know this has been brought up in quite a few posts so far, but I still catn find a definitive answer! My mac pro 'has been dispatched' so Im expecting it within the week. I've ordered it with a single nvidia card, which according to the nvidia site can be sli'd. I know this doesn't work in mac osx, but will it work under bootcamp? These cards are so cheap, they're piled up in my local computer shop and sell for about 40 pounds (~$70), and at that price it would be surely be a really worthwhile upgrade. Will it work? Would it be a case of just plugging it in the next slot down and windows would suss it out?

I think I'm right in saying the pro has only 1 PCix x16 slot. Can I configure this to run at the same speed (8x) as the next slot? Is this nessessery? Anyone got this working?

Awesome people, cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
This will probably not work due to the Efi used by intel macs, as opposed to a traditional BIOS which most PC peripherals rely on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Personally, I don't think SLI is going to work on the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro uses the Intel 5000 series chipset which doesn't support SLI to my knowledge; nVidia doesn't support it in their driver set. Maybe in the future it may work on the Intel 5000, but I don't see it working on the Mac Pro unless someone comes out with a hacked BIOS or something.

Secondly, you don't really need SLI unless you're doing high-end stuff. If you need more performance, just sell your 7300GT and get a 6800 or 7800. That card would be much faster than 2x 7300GT in SLI.

I believe the PCI-E slots on the Mac Pro are divided into x16, x8, x4, and x4. You can use a video card in any slot due to PCI-E's flexibility, and theoretically you could use SLI on this setup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.