Upgrade to a new iMac?

L

Lxandr90

I was wondering,
Would it be worth my while to sell my 17" iSight G5 iMac on ebay and buy the brand new $999 1.83 core 2 duo iMac?

I think that I can get about 750 on ebay for the iMac and I can get the new one at 10% off with a student discount

Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
Lxandr90 said:
I was wondering,
Would it be worth my while to sell my 17" iSight G5 iMac on ebay and buy the brand new $999 1.83 core 2 duo iMac?

I think that I can get about 750 on ebay for the iMac and I can get the new one at 10% off with a student discount

Thanks a lot

no!!!!!!! :)

Graphics, graphics, graphics. I would not exchange x600 for GMA 950. you can forget about 3D games if you do so.

If I were you, I'd wait for another year before upgrade.

OP
L

Lxandr90

Well in that case, how about the next level up, the 17" with the 2.0 ghz chip and the ATI Radeon X1600?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
Lxandr90 said:
Well in that case, how about the next level up, the 17" with the 2.0 ghz chip and the ATI Radeon X1600?

well, according to apple its at least twice as fast as 1.9 G5, so could be reasonable.

let me ask you this, Do you think your G5 iMac is slow and how many PowerPC apps you use? intel iMacs perform on the same level as G4 minis when running PowerPc apps. I think you should have this in mind if you decide to upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Maybe...
You've had the machine roughly one year and paid approx. 1200$ for it.

At first glance they seem to be going for around 700-800$ on ebay. So you'd pay another 300-500$ to upgrade to a slightly faster mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am still very happy with my iSight iMac G5 2.1Ghz. But if you want the newer Mac, go with the next 17" one in the line. It's not that much more and will perform much better with it's dedicated X1600. A lot depends on what you do. For some even the GMA950 would be fine, but if you want to do any 3d Gaming, go with the x1600 iMac. Also, do you run any applications like Adobe or Microsoft Office? They will run for now under Emulation using Rosseta and are a bit slow, especially Photoshop and other Adobe apps. If not, then the Intel Mac will be quite a bit faster as long as all your Applications are Universal.

So if you depend on Photoshop and other Non Universal applications, I would stick with your G5 iMac isight for now.

OP
L

Lxandr90

Thanks

Thanks so much everyone, I just sold my iMac on Craigslist forr $1000 and I'll be upgrading to the 2.1 Ghz model for $1100 thanks to my student discount.
Long Live the Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Wow congrats. It seems you made out very well. Enjoy your new iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.