Is there a format that can be OSX and XP?

Reaction score
I have just obtained a new Maxtor One Touch II which was non servicable, but my friend got it to work. I know that it was used by XP before it broke, but no XP won't read it. However my PB will which is great! I swear that I saw a thread on here in the past that said there is a format that you can format your hard drive to so you can use it on XP and OSX. Is that true, what is the format, and how do I do it? Thanks for the help, I really apprciate it.
Jared

Oh and can itunes convert WMA files to regular MP3s? I have a file thats WMA and I try to drag it to itunes and itunes won't except it.
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
VeritasCCT said:
I swear that I saw a thread on here in the past that said there is a format that you can format your hard drive to so you can use it on XP and OSX.
There are several threads on this, actually. Please use the search feature to find them.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
FAT32 is the format in question - supported by both Mac and XP. I believe that DiskUtility will happily format your drive into this format.

Remember though that FAT32 does not support owners and permissions, and does not support resource forks. As such, it is good for moving data from your PC to your Mac, but you need to be careful when going the other way, particularly if you are running Linux or Unix on your PC (these two OS' are quite knowledgeable about permissions). Also, if you back up a Mac file onto this drive and later copy it back onto your Mac, you will have lost its owner information and permissions and resource fork.

So, FAT32 will do the trick, but it has to be used with its limitations in mind.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.