Things to do....

Reaction score
Well i finally got a mac laptop...and its a Macbook. Its got a 60 gig drive, 2 ghz, 2 gigs of ram, super drive. Its awesome. Now i was wonderin on what are some things to do to keep it running perfectly..like on my PC there is a thing that you should do every month..go in disk defrag and disk clean up..are there such things on the mac?

Also is loading a lot of music on the macbook bad? i was wondering because i have an external drive but it would be easier if loading it on the mac wouldn't bog it down...and make it run slower.

Thanks..from a proud and happy mac owner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
you really dont need to do much it is a mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black "ULTIMATE" 1GB RAM 80GBHDD 2.0GHZ Processor
just goto apple and search for "maintenance" download it run every month or two

M

MJGUK

As others have commented, the amount of maintenance required on Macs is minimal in comparison to PCs.....

However, running a copy of Onyx once a month does not hurt.

Reaction score
I was told by an apple tech that when the computer loads up and you see that little circle thing it's running a de-frag

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Beckrpgirl said:
I was told by an apple tech that when the computer loads up and you see that little circle thing it's running a de-frag
Anyone else on here can confirm that? If that is true, thats pretty cool. :headphone

--lifeafter2am

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Beckrpgirl said:
That is not the case. Mac OS X 10.2 and later really doesn't require any defragmentation.
Apple said:
Fragmentation was often caused by continually appending data to existing files, especially with resource forks. With faster hard drives and better caching, as well as the new application packaging format, many applications simply rewrite the entire file each time. Mac OS X 10.3 Panther can also automatically defragment such slow-growing files. This process is sometimes known as "Hot-File-Adaptive-Clustering."

Aggressive read-ahead and write-behind caching means that minor fragmentation has less effect on perceived system performance.

For these reasons, there is little benefit to defragmenting.

Note:Mac OS X systems use hundreds of thousands of small files, many of which are rarely accessed. Optimizing them can be a major effort for very little practical gain. There is also a chance that one of the files placed in the "hot band" for rapid reads during system startup might be moved during defragmentation, which would decrease performance.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.