Broadband Speed Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual 2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram
I've just upgraded my broadband line fron 2Mbps to 8Mbps. My wireless router is telling me I have a connection speed of 8096Kbps but my browser seems to download web pages much slower which as you can imagine is very frustrating.

I have my system config set to DHCP, would using a static IP address be quicker?

I get the DNS address dynamically from my ISP but if I enter them into Network Preferences it doesn't speed up.

Turning WEP Security on or off makes no difference.

I can't think of why I would get such a slowdown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
A lot of "speed" issues are dependant on the pages you are attempting to view. Your connection may be top-notch, but if the page's server is overloaded then you are going to have a slower download. Static IP is not likely going to show any improvement.
The first thing to do in any case of "speed" problems is to simply power-cycle your setup.
Also, a wireless connection will always be slower than a wired so that must be taken into consideration.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual 2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram
I've tried recycling the power and rebooting my Mac. Its actually slower loading pages that I viewed on my old broadband connection through the same wireless router before I got my line 'upgraded'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.