I need a Mac...

T

tayterbug

I'm entering my senior year of college, and my major is Graphic and Advertising Design...so I use Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc on a regular basis.

I've been using the computers that the school offers, but I can only use them when the labs are open (and when those computers feel like working). Since this is my senior year, I'm going to have a LOT of work, and so I should have my own Mac to do the work on whenever I need.

Unfortunately, money is an issue.

I've been considering either the MacBook or the Mac Mini...I like the idea of being able to bring my work to class with me (MacBook), however, the Mac Mini is cheaper. But can it handle the programs I need it for? Is it worth the money if I'm just going to have to upgrade the heck out of it anyway?

Which one of these two would be best for me? Or is there another Mac I've overlooked that would do the job?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
surfwax95 said:
Powerbook G4
I agree. If you are going to be working with Adobe apps, then get a G4 system. It will be better for you now and despite what some will try to tell you it will remain an excellent system for years to come.

OP
T

tayterbug

looks like the online apple store only sells powerbooks that are refurbished. i don't have a problem with refurbished macs, but it makes it hard to get specific things i want/need.

why is the powerbook G4 so much better than the new MacBooks? what about the intel thing? where can i find a place to buy one?

and thanks for answering so fast!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
No problem, we're losers that sit on computers all day and eat sushi by night. ;)

Devilboy and I have the same setup, so we may be a little biased, but I believe the 15" Powerbook G4 (1.67Ghz) still has a long time before it becomes obsolete. They have a strong processor, fast bus speeds, FW800 ports, and a very good graphics card (128 Radeon). The MacBook doesn't even have a graphics card, it uses 64mb of system RAM to perform/hold video functions.

Also, the Adobe suite isn't a Universal Binary yet...that is, it won't run at full speed on an Intel processor. Adobe says a UB version will be coming out in the spring of '07, but who knows? All Adobe apps will run at full speed, natively, on a G4 however.

I'd check out eBay and Macmall.com to find one. They are selling for decent prices now that the MacBook Pros are out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
hehe, sushi is good stuff.

But yeah, I recommended the G4 because if you are using the Adobe suite heavily, it would be better to go with as Adobe isn't Universal yet. That isn't to say that it would run horribly like some would have you think, but it would function even better on a G4 opposed to an Intel processer.
And just because something is on the refurbed site, doesn't neccessarily mean it was used. A portion of those computers are either leftover stock, or ones that were cancelled custom orders... so they haven't ever been used by anyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.