mac book vs mac book pro

A

alexus

trying to decide between mac book and mac book pro...

likes and dislikes about mac book

portable
cheap(er)

dislikes
underpowered video card

likes and dislikes about mac book pro

dislikes:
big
white
expensive

--

cant decided what to get...

also does anyone knows where core duo 2 coming out for mac book (pro)? thats when i plan to finnaly get it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, the same question applies here as it does with all cases like this:

What do you need your computer for and what do you plan to use it for?

OP
A

alexus

well.. the only thing is video card is for games... so i'm pretty much think of geting mac book...

i'm not planing to do anything special.. most of work i do is resides on remote server, so i use ssh, which both mac book and mac book pro will be handeling same way.. just mac book is more portable for me... and better fits my budget too :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (White), 1GB RAM, 80GB HD | iPod Video 30GB| iPod Nano 1GB
***??? You answered your own poll? Why do you need advice if you are already set?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
alexus said:
well.. the only thing is video card is for games... so i'm pretty much think of geting mac book...

i'm not planing to do anything special.. most of work i do is resides on remote server, so i use ssh, which both mac book and mac book pro will be handeling same way.. just mac book is more portable for me... and better fits my budget too :)
Okay. Does the computer you currently have do all of that and do it satisfactory enough for you?
If so, then there is no need for a new computer.
If not and there is a problem with your current setup, then get the MacBook.

Cam

Reaction score
you have to pay extra to get it in black though. my friends mac book pro shuts down randomly, and it gets incredably hot too... I reckon it could be a problem in a years time when bits start to expire.

OP
S

Sydrocentric

If you must have a new computer get a Macbook. It's plenty. D3v1L80Y said it best, but, if you must Macbook is where its at.

OP
A

alexus

D3v1L80Y said:
Okay. Does the computer you currently have do all of that and do it satisfactory enough for you?
If so, then there is no need for a new computer.
If not and there is a problem with your current setup, then get the MacBook.

my current computer is PC, yes it does everything that i need ... i got my wife ibook g4, for 2006 new year... (intel version wasn't out yet) so i start using it and kind of got used too, she started her school now and she wants to use it.. and i was thinkin geting myself a sony vaio.. but now that i like mac i though of geting mac notebook and debate is between macbook and macbook pro... in general i usually prefer small or at least smaller laptops, i usually use somewhere around 12" for LCD, macbook is 13.3.. which is ok i guess.. 15" or 17" is too much for me.. so thats why i'm thinkin of macbook not pro..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Alexus why did you vote for the macbook when your asking people what you should get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
If you dont want the bigger screen, then I would guess that you already answered your own question. I have a 13" notebook that runs at the same 1280x800 resolution. I got the MacBook Pro because I wanted the bigger screen to work on my music production and for my live sets. Plus the next version of my music software (due out this month) will take advantage of Dual Core systems!!! :headphone

--lifeafter2am

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
This is in the completely wrong forum.....moving.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Since when is the MBP white? Could've sworn it is aluminum-silver color. :) 1 dislike shot down.

OP
A

alexus

MacMania55 said:
Alexus why did you vote for the macbook when your asking people what you should get?

cuz this is my preference.. this is what i lean towards more then other..

OP
K

kfc06

probook or macbook indeed?

this is the kinda thing im looking into to as well.

unfortunately i aint all that clued up on the actual insides of the macs as far as what all the specs mean, so i'm at a bit of a loss when trying to figure out exactly what i need.

trouble is im thinking of getting one so i can work from home, with remote access to work and need to pitch the right one to buy to the boss...and as you all know in their eyes, cheaper is better!

thing is i need it for graphics packages likes of quark xpress, illustrator, pshop - all of which use hi res images etc for print. Generally most files for print are gona be pretty big. There is also the need to have multiple packages open at once, for instance jumping in and out of pshop and illustrator and back into quark (making sense?!)

with this type of software there is also the issue of prefering the larger screen, due to multiple palletes being in the way of the artboard, but im not sure the pro book justifys this extra cost just for the bigger screen if you can dual monitor and if the power book can handle the rest without grinding to a hault?

there is also a need for it to handle web software like flash dreamweaver etc.

Any of you guys out there got mac laptops for this kinda purpose?? and if so whats the advice on which way to jump, obviously pro book is better if it is affordable as the spec is higher, but telling a boss you need that if maybe you dont is another thing! I dont have a preference either way, just want the right one for the job dont want to buy a mac book to have it on its knees in days!

cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.