Gps (maps)

A

alexus

Hello,

I'm looking for GPS solution for my Mac, on PC i used to have Microsoft Streets and Trips, or Microsoft Maps and I also had GPS that would connect through USB, and it would help me determinate where on map I am right now and help me to make trips to my destination...

is there anything similar to Mac? preferably where i could use my existing USB GPS receiver?

Thanks
:dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz (white), iPod Photo 40GB, iPod Nano 4GB
alexus said:
Hello,

I'm looking for GPS solution for my Mac, on PC i used to have Microsoft Streets and Trips, or Microsoft Maps and I also had GPS that would connect through USB, and it would help me determinate where on map I am right now and help me to make trips to my destination...

is there anything similar to Mac? preferably where i could use my existing USB GPS receiver?

Thanks
:dive:

i just switched and have been asking the same question. apparently mac is really lacking in the mapping software department.

since i have a macbook, i just have my PC only GPS and streets 2006 hooked up through the XP side (using boot camp) for mapping stuff. i dont think there is a much better solution than that (assuming you are running on an intel mac). i have also heard that there is an application called "route 66" for PC and MAC, but from what i could find from a quick googling of it, it looks iffy at best. nothing like streets for sure.

if anyone else here has any advice on this topic, i would love to hear it.

OP
A

alexus

my mac isn't intel :( i'm waiting for apple to release intel core duo 2 then i'll get mackbook :) untill then i'm using my ibook g4... and i cant find that route 66 software anywhere and i've been looking for it for a while..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alexus said:
my mac isn't intel :( i'm waiting for apple to release intel core duo 2 then i'll get mackbook :) untill then i'm using my ibook g4... and i cant find that route 66 software anywhere and i've been looking for it for a while..

http://www.gps4fun.com/main_route66.php

looks like the company (whose site can be found at www.66.com) is now focusing on mobile mapping software (cell phones, PDAs etc), so the latest version might be 2004. i could be wrong, but that is sort of what i gathered from the quick search i did.

for all of the crap that MS gets (often rightly so, don't get me wrong), they had the mapping software figured out. streets is a great app, beats everyone else easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M

MacHeadCase

Which USB GPS receiver do you own, alexis? My guess is that the software to use would depend on your GPS device but I could be wrong. A friend of mine used a GPS device for his trip to Austria last summer and he uses a Mac too...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.