Questions on specs, dual region superdrives and US compatibility

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'm a lurker but have finally decided to join the community.

I'll set up my situation: I'm a student filmmaker, from the UK, and I'm planning on buying a Mac Pro this November/December time. I plan on using it for editing footage I film, on Final Cut Studio and other applications (I'm going to film school). The cost isn't an issue, and here are the specs of what I'm buying.

ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB SDRAM
2.66 GHz Quad Xeon
2GB 667 DDR2 FB DIMM ECC - 4x512MB
500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive @ 7200 rpm
2x 16x SuperDrive DL (DVD+R DL/DVDRW/CD-RW)
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive @ 7200 rpm

Now onto my questions:

1. Are my specs adequate, or is it worth my getting a 3.0 GHz or more memory or whatever? I think 2.66 is fast enough, and I'm not going to use the system besides general life apps and my editing.

2. With having two SuperDrives, does that allow me to have one set to Region 1 and the other set to Region 2?

3. I'm moving to California in a few years, will I be able to take this system with me abroad, or do I need to purchase another one there?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
1. Yeah, that machine should run fine!!!! (my old 300mhz g3 can run final cut express :p) looks like you have a great configuration there.

2. I *think* so, but it might be just 1 region per computer...

3. the system will work fine in CA, I belive the Mac Pro is dual voltage compatable- just get a US standard powercord for use in CA.

good luck, and hope you love your new Mac Pro!

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'll probably call my techy friend and ask him about the superdrive.

And the reason I'm waiting until Nov/Dec is because Apple will probably have an even newer model by then, so this one will be cheaper (or I'll just get the latest one, depending on what it has going for it). And because I'm a student, I get 8% off, so with the money I save I plan on getting one of the (inevitable) new iPods. Perfect Crimbo prezzy!

This forum's pretty neat, I like all the sections (the smilies are the best though). And I think the new Macs are a dream; my old school invited me to tinker with one, and it's impressive (and tidy!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The Mac only allows you to assign one region per machine...

OP
D
Reaction score
Oh okay, thank you. It's not a problem, you get five "chances" before it's region-locked, so I'll just change it over when I got to the USA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.