superdrive or no superdrive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook w/ SuperDrive
I'm thinking about buying a MacBook (i've always used PCs in the past and I think it's time for a change), and trying to decide which model to get.

I see that the main benefit of the $1,299 model over the $1,099 one is the previous comes with a SuperDrive.

Since I'll be doing most DVD burning at home, and don't necessarily need this built-in, is there any benefit to getting the model with the superdrive, as opposed to getting the model without it, and then buying something like this Sony DRX820UL/T Macintosh Compatible External USB 2.0 DVD+R Double Layer?

I was thinking that this might be better than the superdrive, since it's double layer, but I'd like to hear if anyone has any pros or cons about this...

Any thoughts/recommendations are appreciated.

S

superdude

I don't think the superdrive for the Macbook is dual layer.
At least it doesn't say so on the technical spec on apple website.

If you're just burning at home, I would just get a pioneer internal drive and hook it up to a nice external enclosure and save yourself some money.

I currently have this kind of setup and it works just fine. Case I bought had both usb/firewire connections.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook w/ SuperDrive
Yeah, it sounds like that may be the way to go.
What Pioneer drive are you using?

S

superdude

n0s0up said:
Yeah, it sounds like that may be the way to go.
What Pioneer drive are you using?

Any recent ones are fine.
But the one I'm using is 110D.
It's less than $50 CDN and add on top of that a quality enclosure like Vantec $50 CDN and you're set to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.