Proper way to delete user accounts?

Reaction score
I'm just coming from a windows computer and I'm wondering if there is a Proper way to delete some user accounts on my mac?

Is it as easy as just dragging the folder of their user account to the trash bin? I want to get rid of all the accounts except mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences... .

2. Select Accounts.

3. Select the name of the user you wish to delete, under the list of accounts, click - (the minus sign).

4. The files and directories will be moved to the /Users/Deleted Users/ folder; you may retrieve them from there and delete them or move them to your own account if you wish.

5. Click Delete or OK to complete the deletion of the user account. To delete the account without saving the user's files and directories, click Delete Immediately.

Reaction score
Deleting a user account

I am also trying to do this. The (-) sign to delete the account is greyed out. The lock at the bottom is unlocked and it clearly shows that I have the admin rights on the account. How can I get it to let me delete it...will it not let you delete the admin account? Thanks so much if someone can help me!

Reaction score
if you are going to delete and admin acount you need to set another account as admin.

Set your account as admin and then delete the other one.

Reaction score
Deleting user

I m the main administrator on my imac. I have an account for my partner and also a guest account which was being used very briefly by a friend which I now want to delete. When I go to "system preferences" I only have the option to delete my partners account but not the guest??? Does anybody have a suggestion how to go forward!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're talking about the default Guest account, you can't delete it. You can only enable or disable it and that is done from the menu inside the Guest account. You'll need to click on the lock at the bottom to unlock it to get access to it.

Reaction score
Proper way to erase a user

Hi. I am trying to erase an old admin account and although the lock is unlocked and I have a new admin account the minus (-) appears grey as well as the user that I want to erase. Please help me!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Which account are you loafed into when you try this? If you are in the old account try logging into the other one first and delete the old account from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.