Fink

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Coming from a very long Linux and Unix background, I was considering installing fink on my new Macbook pro. I was wondering what everyone here thought of it, and any problems that I might encounter. I want to keep this system fairly clean as I use it for music production, but I cant help wanting to throw some of my security tools on here, then I dont have to carry two laptops with me for work and play. :yinyang:

--lifeafter2am

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I tried both DarwinPorts and Fink. I quickly deleted Fink. Almost instantly I ran into packages that Fink's web site said were part of their "release" but which were not. That was enough for me.

DarwinPorts has delivered exactly what it promised, and in fact I find that I am running more current versions of many of my open source favorites now, via DarwinPorts and Mac OS X, than I was native under Linux.

I have nothing but good things to say about DarwinPorts. Try it out - you will be pleased.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.