Preparing OSX / notebook for sale

B

bil2k

I'm going to be selling my MacBook Pro and would like to repare it to sell. I realize I can just wipe it clean and reinstall OSX, but I'd like to leave the software I have on it for the buyer.

How do I wipe all traces of my personal information and logins but keep the installed software. Can I change the name on the admin account?

I basically just don't want them to somehow get my logins to sites andthen find my credit card info, etc.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would wipe the disk clean and re-install the OS. If you want to the buyer to has the installed software. Just provide the media that the software came on.

Roo

Reaction score
Or you could take all of the software you want, put it on an outside source, and then wipe/reinstall OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
bil2k said:
I'm going to be selling my MacBook Pro and would like to repare it to sell. I realize I can just wipe it clean and reinstall OSX, but I'd like to leave the software I have on it for the buyer.

How do I wipe all traces of my personal information and logins but keep the installed software.
All you should have to do is wipe the drive, reinstall OS X and then just include the original software installation media for the applications that you want to include, as you would have to do that per the EULA for the applications anyway. The new owner will then be able to install the software you are including in the sale by just using the install media.

:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.