• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut; Express or Pro

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a macbook pro. I am a film student and am wondering if I should try and get a hold of FCP or if express will do fine. As a student, I obviously don't have much money to be spending on this sort of thing. Anyone ever used both? What are the major differences?

P

pbook24

well if money is an issue i assume express would make more sense, but pro comes witht final cut studio which includes motion etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
studio does not come with pro.. pro comes with studio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Final Cut Studio also has a student discount price. Which is what I have now, Final Cut Studio 5 academic version.
It all depends on what you actually need. I for one, find myself only using FCP and DVD Studio. I also fool around with the Soundtrack program as well. I bought studio just in case however, cause you never know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Would a 2ghz MacBook with 2gigs of Ram be more than enough to run Final Cut Express well? Would the screen size be proficient for viewing projects?

Reaction score
Greenredfield said:
Would a 2ghz MacBook with 2gigs of Ram be more than enough to run Final Cut Express well? Would the screen size be proficient for viewing projects?

The 2ghz macbook with 2gb would run final cut express great...
the 13" screen is ok.. it is widescreen- good, it is 13"- bad

goto the apple store and try out final cut express on a macbook, for screen size only..

hope this helps..

Edit Xtreem

F

Flash Fire

I recently purchased a MacBook, it's the 2.0GHz model with an 80gb HD and only 1gb of memory. I was curious, would it run Final Cut Pro? I know it wouldn't run it GREAT... but, would it even RUN? I know the MacBook graphics "chips" aren't so... great... so, just wondering. :)

S

sursuciofla

iPolly said:
I just recently purchased a macbook pro. I am a film student and am wondering if I should try and get a hold of FCP or if express will do fine. As a student, I obviously don't have much money to be spending on this sort of thing. Anyone ever used both? What are the major differences?

It's all in the name "Express" and "Pro"! Being a film student go Pro because it has all the extra features you will need.

S

sursuciofla

Flash Fire said:
I recently purchased a MacBook, it's the 2.0GHz model with an 80gb HD and only 1gb of memory. I was curious, would it run Final Cut Pro? I know it wouldn't run it GREAT... but, would it even RUN? I know the MacBook graphics "chips" aren't so... great... so, just wondering. :)

I run Pro on an ibook. It should work for you too.

OP
iPolly
Reaction score
sursuciofla-as a student, what sort of features in pro are you using that are unavailable in express?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.