Multiple email accounts?

J

JMH

First, a thousand thanks to those who read all these threads and offer their advice.

I am a new Powerbook owner just switched from a PC. I love it, but I'm having trouble with one thing: I have two email addresses, and I can't seem to get the computer to retrieve mail from both. I went to preferences and accounts, and added the new address into the address box, but it still only retrieves mail sent to my original address. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, is there a way to direct incoming messages FROM a certain address, for example a mailing list, into a separate folder or box?

Thanks again for any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Alrighty get the easy one done first.

To have mailing lists go into a folder you created go to
Mail --> Preferences --> Rules (last button on top)

and create new rules for whatever you want

For the different mail accounts
1. when you look in the mailbox window can you view both of the mail boxes? If so go to 3. if not go to 2.
2. Go into Preferences --> Accounts and click the plus button below the window that shows the accounts and create the mail box for it
3. In the Preferences window click on the account thats mail is not being received and click Advanced. Make sure that the checkbox "Include when automatically checking for new mail" is checked. That should do it

Post back if you are having more trouble with it

OP
S

StarManta

Also (while we're checking the obvious things) make sure the "Enable this account" checkbox is selected. :)

OP
J

JMH

Halfway there. . .

Okay. . .I was successful at rerouting the mailing list mail to a new folder. Perfect instructions. . .Thanks!!!

However, unless I'm doing something really stupid, my second email address still isn't working properly. I went to preferences--accounts. Clicked on the + for a new account and input all the information--pop account, address, password, etc. It's all identical to my main email account except for the address. Hit "advanced" and made sure it was set to check it. Sent a test message to the second account. But when I click "get mail," the header bar flashes "logging in as" and displays my main address only, and doesn't collect the other mail. When I go to the website of my ISP the mail is there. Any other ideas? Or did I miss something? Thanks so much again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you look at the mailbox pane where it shows

In
Out
Drafts
Sent
Trash
Junk

There should be a triangle next to In that allows you to click and open the individual boxes. It should be showing up in there

OP
J

JMH

trpnmonkey41 said:
When you look at the mailbox pane where it shows

In
Out
Drafts
Sent
Trash
Junk

There should be a triangle next to In that allows you to click and open the individual boxes. It should be showing up in there

Yup, it's there. Thanks again. The computer now seems to be doing everythnig correctly, but when I hit "get mail" I get a box saying the POP server has rejected my password (I know it's correct because I've retrieved mail from their website). I'm beginning to think it's a server problem, so i'm going to talk to them today.

I'm learning a bunch, and I'm grateful for your help!

OP
S

StarManta

I get the "rejected password" error fairly regularly with Mail for both my accounts, and I know the passwords are correct. I can only assume it's a bug that sees another kind of error message (such as a timeout) as an incorrect password message... and that Apple will be offering a patch soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My ISP has some password problems every once and a while where I have to retype it in because the ISP rejected it. This happened when I was on PCs as well

OP
J

JMH

All's well. . .

Well, the problem was with my server--they had my password wrong. All is working fine now, and I learned a lot about getting in and changing things in the system. Thanks again for the help--no doubt I'll be back, even though this OS-X is really intuitive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.