G3 B&W OSX install issues...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
OK, I think this should be in the hardware section because this has something to do with the hardware.

I have OSX install CDs (not DVDs) for Panther 10.3 and Tiger 10.4. I have used both several times to install/reinstall on Mac systems (all have been G4 and above). I tried getting my new B&W G3 to boot to the CD and I can't get it to do anything at all. When it starts, it goes straight to the Apple finder icon/question mark. When I hold down C or Option, it does the same thing. I know the keyboard is working because I was able to reset the PRAM, etc. This is an Apple USB keyboard. I tried swapping CD-ROM drives to no avail, I tried disconnecting the hard drive to see if I could just get it to boot to CD. The only thing I've done to it is upgrade the memory to 1GB (4X256MB) and install a 20GB Maxtor 7200RPM (bought this machine w/o HDD). The HDD has Windows installed, but I have booted to the OSX install CD with a Windows HDD installed before.

I do have a Rev 1 B&W G3, so is there any issue with compatibility installing OSX 10.3 or 10.4? Do I HAVE to update the firmware before installing OSX? There is only one CD-ROM and one hard drive. Thanks in advance for all your advice!

Reaction score
Where did you get your memory? OS X is very picky with certain brands/types and wont boot. Try swapping out ram or install with the original ram and then trying the new memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
are you sure the CD drive is apple bootable? on the drive itself it should have an apple logo. If it doesn't it won't let you boot off of it. Also the rev.1 machines had IDE issues, so if you get an IDE PCi card, it will likely solve your problems!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
The memory came from my own personal collection. I have 4X256MB Kingston PC100 that were probably pulled from older desktops (all 4 are identical). I tried swapping back in the original 64MB PC100 that came with it; same results. It just boots up to the Finder/question mark icon and won't respond to holding down C or Option, but can flash the PRAM, etc, so keyboard is working.

The original CD-ROM was Apple and would not boot. I tried a PC CD drive and it wouldn't work either. I thought installing OSX on a B&W G3 was fairly easy...

I'm going to get my hands on a OS9 CD and see if that will install. If it does, I'm going to try updating the firmware and then installing OSX since Apple's website seems to be hinting towards updating the firmware before upgrading to OSX.

If that doesn't work I'll try and get a Rev 2 motherboard...

Reaction score
SuB8HaVeN said:
The HDD has Windows installed, but I have booted to the OSX install CD with a Windows HDD installed before.

Just a question to clarify that the HD is formatted Mac HFS?

Reaction score
SuB8HaVeN said:
I'm going to get my hands on a OS9 CD and see if that will install. If it does, I'm going to try updating the firmware and then installing OSX since Apple's website seems to be hinting towards updating the firmware before upgrading to OSX.

Yes, if you haven't already, you DO need to update the firmware.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
The HD is formatted in either FAT32 or NTFS (it was in my collection of random computer crap). I will try plugging it into my G4 tonight and format it in Mac format and see if that helps any.

I was going to update the firmware, BUT unfortunately I don't have OS 9 that is required to do the firmware update. Then I should be able to install OS X. Is there a way to update the firmware without a OS installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
SuB8HaVeN said:
The HD is formatted in either FAT32 or NTFS (it was in my collection of random computer crap). I will try plugging it into my G4 tonight and format it in Mac format and see if that helps any.

I was going to update the firmware, BUT unfortunately I don't have OS 9 that is required to do the firmware update. Then I should be able to install OS X. Is there a way to update the firmware without a OS installed?
Mine ran OS X OK with the original firmware, but I do recomend updating it if you can.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
OK, I acquired a OS 9.1 CD. I put it in the G3 and it still won't respond to the Option key, but when you hold down the C key to boot from CD, it comes up with a floppy disk with a question mark flashing on it. When you just let it start up it goes to the finder/flashing question mark. I believe the CD works since it shows up on the G4.

Any other suggestions? I may just try calling Apple tech support and see if they can walk me through it. I want to try and format the drive before that to see if it fixes anything, but other than that I'm out of ideas...

Reaction score
SuB8HaVeN said:
OK, I acquired a OS 9.1 CD. I put it in the G3 and it still won't respond to the Option key, but when you hold down the C key to boot from CD, it comes up with a floppy disk with a question mark flashing on it. When you just let it start up it goes to the finder/flashing question mark. I believe the CD works since it shows up on the G4.

Any other suggestions? I may just try calling Apple tech support and see if they can walk me through it. I want to try and format the drive before that to see if it fixes anything, but other than that I'm out of ideas...

The HD needs to be formatted to HFS (Mac) as you say it's currently NTFS or FAT32 and if so then it's only readable by a Windows PC.

This explains your problems when you put the Mac OS disc in the drive.

This is why you get the floppy icon with the flashing question mark, basically it means the HD can't be read.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
The odd thing about that is that I used to have a G3 iBook (dual USB snowbook) in which I swapped the hard drive out of my PC laptop (not formatted) and booted to the OSX installer and formatted the drive and installed OSX just fine. I guess maybe with the older B&W G3 this is happening because of the IDE issues. Either way I will just format the hard drive on the G4 and see what happens from there. Thanks guys!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
OK, I tried putting my hard drive into the G4 and I formatted it with the OS9 drivers just in case I needed them. I tried the OS 9.1 CD (I still want to update firmware whether OSX will boot or not) and it did the same thing again. I tried the OSX 10.4 CD and it also did the same thing. The only difference is that the hard drive grinded a little bit longer.

I have already tried to boot to CD without a hard drive plugged in at all with the same results which leads me to believe this is not hard drive related. Does anyone else have any ideas before I take a hammer to it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.