What is an XServer Raid???

T

Temp

What in the world is an XServer Raid, and what does it do, and what is it used for? :confused:

OP
T

Temp

Wow! Look at all the people who replied to my thread.

A simple question for what turned out to be a simple answer.

Anyway, I think I figured it out. The XServer RAID is a storage device I think. Kind of like an over-glorified Firewire.

I know people who had websites that became so popular that they had to buy a server to keep up with the web traffic on their site. So, that is what I thought an XServer RAID was going to be. If I am wrong, maybe someone would like to tell me what one really is.

OP
H

hokiethang

Temp said:
Wow! Look at all the people who replied to my thread.

A simple question for what turned out to be a simple answer.

Anyway, I think I figured it out. The XServer RAID is a storage device I think. Kind of like an over-glorified Firewire.

I know people who had websites that became so popular that they had to buy a server to keep up with the web traffic on their site. So, that is what I thought an XServer RAID was going to be. If I am wrong, maybe someone would like to tell me what one really is.

XServe RAIDs are actually just arrays of hard drives that are connected to a real server (most likely an Xserve) to serve as an extra storage device. Xserves can normally only hold 750GBs of HDs, yet with an Xserve RAID device that number reaches closer to 3.5TB of storage, which is way too much for most applications, but some require a number of these devices. the RAID is a separate device from the server, most of the time you have to have a server with a fiber channel card to connect to these storage devices. That clear anything up? if not, ill go into more detail when im not tired from doing work all day :-(.

OP
T

Temp

First I want to say, "Thank you." for replying to my thread.

However, we are both in agreement that it is a storage device. I have learned that I can hook one up to a G5, and it is way out of my price range. So, there is no need to go any further with it. I just wanted to know if it was a purchase I needed to consider for the here and now. It isn't.

OP
H

hokiethang

Temp said:
First I want to say, "Thank you." for replying to my thread.

However, we are both in agreement that it is a storage device. I have learned that I can hook one up to a G5, and it is way out of my price range. So, there is no need to go any further with it. I just wanted to know if it was a purchase I needed to consider for the here and now. It isn't.

you are welcome. Yeah for most people an Xserve raid is WAY too much storage. If you need additional storage I would suggest getting a firewire drive from LaCie they have some farily large drives for a much better price.

OP
T

Temp

Alright! Way to go hokiethang. You just answer another question I had about a Firewire in the Powermac Systems forum.

You just killed two birds with one stone, and it is off the the Apple Store website I go. :)

OP
H

hokiethang

Temp said:
Alright! Way to go hokiethang. You just answer another question I had about a Firewire in the Powermac Systems forum.

You just killed two birds with one stone, and it is off the the Apple Store website I go. :)

Hehe :-D You are welcome again :-D You may also want to check out www.smalldog.com, and www.welovemacs.com as those are some of the retailers that others have used. I have bought most of my stuff through the apple store since I get an Education discount, but the other companies may have some better prices on 3rd party peripherals.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.