My iMac is talking to me like a robot! Make it stop!!

B

bconns

Can some one help me out with what preference i have to change to get my iMac to stop announcing the name of the window everytime i switch programs or do anything. It talks in the iSpeak like robot voice. I had iSpeak but i got rid of it but the voice is still there. It is off when i turn the sound off but i'd like to listen to music without robocop telling me what im doing.
any help would be appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
sys. prefs----> universal access----> Voice over off. OR HIT apple F5! Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (White), 1GB RAM, 80GB HD | iPod Video 30GB| iPod Nano 1GB
Amusing title. At first I thought you had a problem that no one on here could help you with. ;)

Reaction score
I am extremely grateful that this question and answer were in place. My imac is 3 years old, and suddenly began saying every window aloud, a week ago.

Can someone tell me how I started this?

I have not opened sys pref/universal access.....let alone hit voiceover on.

Could I have turned it on some other way?

Thank you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It can also be turned on using the keyboard. I believe the key sequence is the command and F5 simultaneously.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.