mac word processors

Reaction score
I just bought a macbook for school and my 30 day microsoft office trial ended the other day. Looking at the price (300/$400) I thought no way am I going to buy...so I was wondering if OSX has any other word processors? I tried writing a paper with text edit yesterday but that definetely did not go well. If not, any free/low cost software out there that will do the job?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is a $129 Microsoft Office Student Teacher edition. Since you need it for school, to me that would be the way to go. If that is still too much there is Apples iWork that has Pages and Keynote that does the same thing as Word and Power Point. It's pretty compatible with Office. It's $79. For free there is NeoOffice and OpenOffice that are pretty much a clone of Microsoft Office. They work well, but if you need for sure 100% compatibility for a school situation, I would recomend that $129 Microsoft Office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
For personal use you can also often buy the student and teacher version of office 2004 for 149$. At least that's the unofficial stance that Microsoft has indicated to some retailers apparently.

OP
M
Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
For personal use you can also often buy the student and teacher version of office 2004 for 149$. At least that's the unofficial stance that Microsoft has indicated to some retailers apparently.

Thanks, I'm going to look into that $150 Office for students. But just a minute ago I figured I would try IWork's trial that was preinstalled, but it couldnt complete the download. Specifically it said "error installing the software." Any idea why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's preinstalled, why would you re-download it?

Reaction score
I use openoffice.org you need x11 to install it
its on your mac osx cd
its not bad for free

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or check out Neooffice/J for a version that doesn't require X11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Check out Abiword, from www.abisource.com. It is an excellent open source (i.e. FREE) word processor. I use it all the time and it is great. It will read and write MS Word format and so it is an excellent tool. To be completely transparent however, I should mention that some of the trickier things that MS-Word can do with embedded figures can mess Abiword up now and then, but it is less often than more often. Overall, it is a wonderful package, and you can't beat the price! As they say in the open source world, it is "free as in beer".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Does anyone know if NeoOffice will run in spanish? I just reccommended it to one of my employees whose primary language is spanish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I've recently tried NeoOffice as a free alternative to MS Office, and I'm pretty impressed so far. It doesn't do some of the advanced things MS Office does, such as PivotTables in Excel, but it does most of what I want, and the look and feel is eerily familiar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.