Lost Airport connection

M

musolen

The Airport on my G4 1Ghz(OSX 10.3.9)Powerbook has gone. I got a system crash out of the blue and it would only restart with extensions off. I ran Techtool Pro, Norton, Disk Warrior, Hardware Tests etc but everything came up fine. The airport card was the culprit. I backed up everything and did a complete system reinstall but the Airport card is still not recognised when everything else works fine - "no card recognised" in the 'About this Computer' panel although it is still internally connected.
I ordered a Brand New internal airport card which arrived yesterday. It is major surgery on this G4 to fit but I have just finished and the problem is EXACTLY the same. "No airport card recognised" with a brand new card in there. I have checked the seating connection a thousand times but it is as firm as it is going to be.
If I rule out the Airport Card,(I have tried 2 cards) Software (I re-installed) and connections (they are seated as well as they can be) is there anything else I can try?
I am at a loss as to what the problem can be so any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Musolen

OP
M

musolen

I should add that the machine starts fine now after the complete install and everything works fine..except for the Airport card which doesn't show up as existing in the machine. Cheers.
Musolen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
you reinstalled the airport software?

OP
M

musolen

I reinstalled the whole system. OSX 10.3 to 10.3.9. No repair software was repairing the problem and the only way I could rule out a software problem was to reinitialise and start again. I backed up and reinstalled and the only thing not working was the Airport. Then I replaced the card. Nothing changed. Brand new Airport card. New software installation. All the components seem to be reassembled okay. I'm out of ideas. Cheers for the reply.
Musolen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
There is a driver for the airport card....im sure you can download it from the apple website. Thats the only thing i would know to try

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.