Safari - how to clear the address toolbar cache??

M

MrPink

Hi all,

Virgin poster with a question. How do I clear the cache for the address line on the toolbar? I have cleared the cache as well as reset Safari to no avail. What happens is the address line tries to be smart as I manually type an address in - providing a drop down of all the websites visited in the past. I'd like to clear that memory or disable it.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think you need to clear out the information under:
Safari->Preferences->Autofill->other

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I encountered the same problem when I first got a Mac. The quick answer is that it is not a cache in the conventional sense. What Safari is doing is helping you out by suggesting possible matches from among the bookmarks you have. If you have it bookmarked, Safari will suggest it as a partial match while you type. To my knowledge, there is no way to disable this behavior.

But rest assured, there isn't some infinitely expanding cache of sites you have visited. I was worried about this when I first got a Mac and started using Safari. As a previous Windows users, I was all too well aware of badly designed programs that had infinitely expanding cache and log files... if you didn't manually purge them from time to time, they could eat gigabytes of wasted disk space. So when I saw this behavior from Safari, I went on the hunt to find and kill this "cache". Some kind folks here on these forums helped me find the answer instead, and I thought I would return the favor!

Once you understand it, this is actually really helpful behavior. You don't need to access your bookmarks via mouse driven menus - just start typing and pretty soon you will have enough to select your intended target. Sort of like Spotlight, but built right into your browser address bar. A nice feature actually!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.