A way to make one Text File by clicking items?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 1.33, Panther+ Lacie HD
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help with a seemingly easy problem. We use an ibook at home to do the food shopping here via the internet. We've printed out a list of all our most common foods in our house and then we go through the list checking off things and quantities we need. Then once a week I use the ibook to input the list again into the online grocery store. It is kind of a time waster to write out the data again every week, but the list is obviously different every time. Ideally it would be in a text file.

My question is this: Does anyone know a program or method using a Mac which would allow us to, say view a list of all of our items, and then by clicking on various items, they would be added to a text file or something? I could then easily paste this into our shopping website every week. I realise that writingour a text list every week would be one option, but we are trying to make our lives a little easier. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmm, so let me see if I got this right:

You basically want a program that lets you click on things to add them to a text file.
So clicking on 'marsbar' twice would write "Marsbars 2x" into a text file?

Check out Shop 'n cook
http://www.shopncook.com/index.html

It lets you add recipes with ingredients and it can add the ingredients to a shopping list when you click on them.

Just add each item as a "recipe" and you can then pick and choose things to add to your shopping list with a simple click.

You can then export the list as a simple text file.

It's not quite the way to program was intended to be used (they expect you to add multiple items to a recipe to create an entire meal) but adding individual items seems to work just as well!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 1.33, Panther+ Lacie HD
Thanks for the quick reply. That one might work.

However, obviously I would prefer a lower priced or freeware program as it's quite a simple task I need it for actually, perhaps even some kind of applescript or something?...

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Aptmunich said:
Hmm, so let me see if I got this right:

You basically want a program that lets you click on things to add them to a text file.
So clicking on 'marsbar' twice would write "Marsbars 2x" into a text file?

Check out Shop 'n cook
http://www.shopncook.com/index.html

It lets you add recipes with ingredients and it can add the ingredients to a shopping list when you click on them.

Just add each item as a "recipe" and you can then pick and choose things to add to your shopping list with a simple click.

You can then export the list as a simple text file.

It's not quite the way to program was intended to be used (they expect you to add multiple items to a recipe to create an entire meal) but adding individual items seems to work just as well!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.