Can I use OS X as a Windows server?

Reaction score
My wife and I both work at home and have all Windows based machines but now are switching to Mac. She's going to add a imac on her desk to compliment her Windows laptop. I'm replacing my laptop with a Macbook Pro. This will leave two desktops that are Windows based as well as a 3rd 'main' desktop. This 3rd desktop is more or less the server with 500 gigs of hard drive space and it's connected to two large printers as well as a fax/printer. It shares a data drive we both use to store our office files, photos, music ,etc We use these for home use as well as our business, mine is e-commerce, hers desktop publishing.
Well we are getting Macs this month but now I suspect my server has been hit with a virus and enough is enough. Now I'm ready to replace it with a MacPro but as you can see this a combo mac/windows office. I may go 100% mac someday but how well would it work if I replace my server with a MacPro. I know Windows PC's can't read mac drives but if these mac drives are network drives can my Windows PC's read them? Will it cause any problmes storing Windows files on a mac server? I guess I am wondering if my pc's will treat it as a server when it comes to files, printing, etc? I depend on this heavily and like the idea of protection of viruses. I know a lot now about mac computers but not as a server and am wondering if there is a version of OS X for servers or a way that this can be used? Linux is probably my other option but I've heard it's hard to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
markw10 said:
I know a lot now about mac computers but not as a server and am wondering if there is a version of OS X for servers or a way that this can be used?
There sure is:

Mac OS X Server

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to use the Mac-Forums Search Function first. You will find just about any answer you are looking for without having to create post after post for your questions. Searching first saves you lots of time and gets you right to the answer without having to wait for a reply to your post.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.