Question About Hiding Apps On The Dock

N

newbie101

is there any way to literally hide an application from the dock or can you just hide the window and make the icon appear different??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
To hide an app, just make sure it is in focus and hit Command+H.
You can also hide the Dock by hitting Option+Command+D.

OP
N

newbie101

no but i mean literally making the icon not appear in the dock at all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
newbie101 said:
no but i mean literally making the icon not appear in the dock at all
No, you can't do that.
You would have to actually hide the Dock. Really though, just curious... why would you even need to do such a thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
D3v1L80Y said:
No, you can't do that.
You would have to actually hide the Dock. Really though, just curious... why would you even need to do such a thing?

Yes you can.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20010701191518268

I can't speak as to why newbie would want to do this, but I could see myself doing it if i had an app that i wanted to keep open all the time but I didn't need an icon cluttering the dock. Apple even allows Dashboard to do this without changing any files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
dohidied said:
Yes you can.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20010701191518268

I can't speak as to why newbie would want to do this, but I could see myself doing it if i had an app that i wanted to keep open all the time but I didn't need an icon cluttering the dock. Apple even allows Dashboard to do this without changing any files.
I was aware of this, so technically I lied. :p
The reason though is that I wouldn't suggest altering files like that or using 'sudo' terminal commands for newbies. It can and has in some cases, caused more headaches and problems than solutions for those new to the OS. (As can be seen by some of the comments made on that very page).
If one was experienced and comfortable enough with *nix commands and/or OS X then I would say go for it. :black:

OP
N

newbie101

thnx for the help, but i tried what they told me to do and when i launch the app the icon appears on the dock, then goes away, but the program doesnt start up

Reaction score
There you have the mess. Reverse that.

If you don't want something appearing in the Dock, start it at login and check the "Hide" box in system prefs > users > login items

It'll start when you start the machine, but it'll be hidden. Problem is, you have no acces to the program through the User Interface.... but it's running, secretleeeee *ppssst*.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I thought that only hid the applications window, not its dock icon?

Reaction score
I'm curious to know the benefits of hiding an apps icon in the dock....?

I mean it only takes a nanosecond or two to hold the mouse down while the arrow is over the icon and when it's highlighted, just a simple upwards flick sends the icon into oblivion but keeps the app open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I know Quicksilver can hide the dock icon even while it's active, simply because you almost never need to actually click it... (You use a keyboard shortcut instead).
So in some cases I can see it making sense to be able to get rid of the icon to reduce dock clutter...
(Dashboard is another superfluous dock icon that I never use)

Reaction score
I have been using Quicksilver for a week and it's very useful. I love how quickly I can launch Mail, Safari and iTunes when I log on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
you can use this app here to hide dock items

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*Zzzzz* wait, who woke the dead? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
lol, I just found that program and remembered that someone on the forum asked a question about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.