How long do iBook batteries last?

Reaction score
I can get a used G3 iBook battery for like $13. He said that he used it up until about 4 months ago and that at that time it could power the laptop for 3-4 hours. For the last four months it has been sitting on the shelf.

So, could it die from sitting on the shelf for four months or should it still hold a good charge assuming that it held a good charge four months ago (3-4 hours)?

This would be a nice backup battery for really cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
atomheartmother said:
I can get a used G3 iBook battery for like $13. He said that he used it up until about 4 months ago and that at that time it could power the laptop for 3-4 hours. For the last four months it has been sitting on the shelf.

So, could it die from sitting on the shelf for four months or should it still hold a good charge assuming that it held a good charge four months ago (3-4 hours)?

This would be a nice backup battery for really cheap.

not sure about shelf life but my ibook g4 battery lasts about 4.5hrs with medium use e.g word and mail.

ctm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Its life could diminish slightly depending on how it was stored. If it was put on the shelf with a full charge it is probably still OK. In any case I think $13 is worth the gamble. getting a new replacement is quite expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i5, 12GB, 1TB; iPhone 4 32GB AT&T
For $13 sounds like a good gamble as stated above, but if and when you get the battery be sure and cycle the battery. Charge the battery and turn the ibook on and let the machine run the battery all the way down and then recharge. This will enable the battery to recalibrate itself and for the battery to go through a full charge cycle. I did this same procedure to used ibook of a friend of mine who was getting about one hour a charge and now that ibook is getting about 3 hours of battery per charge now. Good Luck.

S

sursuciofla

iBook batteries suck. I guess I can't complain too much as I got about 4 hours on a full charge for about a year. In February it will be two years and now I get less than 1.5 hours just surfing the net. Probably around 1hr to 1.25hrs when I am in CS2 apps, FCP, or Studio 8. I used to get about 3 hours before.

Anybody know where to get really cheap spare batteries? Don't want to pay $130 for a dang battery. Not worried right now but at this rate the battery could be dead in abour 4-5 months considering the charge it holds now.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
batteries.com

Never used them, just found them some years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have used replacements/extra batteries from NewerTechnologies in the past. I have never had any issues with them or the original Apple supplied ones for that matter. They aren't super cheap, but not really too expensive either.

You can check them out here:

http://newertech.com/ibook12battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
^Wow, those batteries look really nice and practical for anyone who needs a replacement. Apple offered a replacement on most iBook batteries last year, I capitalized on this and got a free replacement.

S

sursuciofla

They haven't had a recall for the 14" ibooks unfortunately though while I have owned my laptop so I don't get the luxury. Hopefully it gets recalled one day and I get a new one too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.