PowerMac G3 AIO OS 9.1

B

bduff509

I have a G3 AIO (school model) running OS 9.1. My first experience with a Mac. It booted up normally the first couple of times but while poking around in it I decided to get rid of the school related stuff & sent the main school related program to the trash. I never actually deleted it. Before I shut it down I found some shareware game in it & played it for a while. When I closed the game out the computer froze. I shut it down by the switch on the back. On the next boot a login screen came up that hadn't come up before. Now I can't get past it. I believe this was the administrator of the 3 G3's that I have. I bought them at a storage locker auction so I can't ask the previous owner. My questin is, is there a back door to get around this password? Apparently I'd have been better off leaving the school programs alone until I figured out how to get rid of the administrator features. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I don't think there is much of a way to get "around" the password without the original installation disks. To be honest though, since this is your first Mac, it would be nice to get a real "Mac" experience, and that means OS X. Here's what I'd recommend to get full enjoyment out of your new AIO:

A) Pick up an inexpensive, larger HD if it doesn't already have one. You can find a decent, 20 GB model for around $20.

B) Get yourself a copy of OS X 10.3 Panther. If you check around, you can find a full installation version for less than $50.

C) Upgrade the VRAM to 6 MB. Around $5 or $6 on eBay.

D) Purchase as much RAM as you can afford. 256 MB sticks are around $30 each at Other World Computing

E) Install everything, and enjoy your newly upgraded AIO for right around $100

If you end up having any questions or need any help or advice, just let me know. I have a G3 AIO that I use daily, and it's a great machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.