Hard Disk Build up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster :) hee hee.

Okay, basically, I did an edit job lately for someone, and the external Seagate 250Gb drive I bought had a fault, so I resorted to cramming as much of the content onto my tiny 80Gb Hard drive (I have a Macbook Pro).

To do this I had to delete or transfer EVERYTHING off my mac that I could to squeeze out extra room.

After I was finished on the job, I backed up all the edit material, so I basically had an empty computer, ready to put back my itunes and photo's and such. I did a get info on the hard drive, and it was half full!! it had like 38Gb used, with the Library being the main culprit, it was something like 32Gb big.

Basically, what is there in there that can be deleted safely? are there temporary cache's or something I can empty? does the Mac os store stuff just in case? I come from a PC, having used macs in studios for years, but having never owned one myself, I have never had to worry about the running of one. I'm kind of half tempted to do a re-install. Maybe that's madness. Anyone any ideas?

Mel :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Have you restarted since you "Got Info..." on the hard drive?

Sometimes Finder won't update and show the same amount full even after you delete items...

OP
melmation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Yeah, I rarely use old sleep mode, so it was restarted before I got the info. I dunno, maybe it is just all the apps I have installed. But I just thought it was a lot of space to be used up and maybe it can be lessened.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.