MacBook Overheating (again)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
Since the recent firmware upgrade my MacBook has been running a bit cooler. Today, however, I have been converting a 2+ hour DVD to iPod format (using Instant Handbrake) and the Core Temp got up to 85c. I wasn't overly worried until the message "CPU Overheating please close applications or check cooling system" appeared. Once I ejected the DVD it cooled down again fairly rapidly. Should I be concerned? :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Yes, you should be concerned. I'm experiencing the same thing. Anytime I rip or burn a DVD, my MacBook overheats, and this is only since the last firmware upgrade. Anytime I do anything intensive, the temps shoot up and the MacBook shuts down. You shound like you're better off than me though; at least you get a warning message. I am going to contact Apple today and I will let you know what they say. Hopefully I can revert back to the old firmware somehow, otherwise I'll need a trade-in ASAP as this is both my work and personal computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I called the local store and they said I have two options: make an appointment locally, where I would probably have to drop it off for 3-5 days, or call AppleCare for troubleshooting. I will be calling AppleCare for troubleshooting later today. I use my computer for work, so I would need to swap it out ASAP with a new computer. If I drop it off, I'll have to transfer all my files over and work on my old Dell :p

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
I think I feel another trip to the Apple Store coming on. Incidentally, the warning message originates from one of the monitoring widgets that I have downloaded (when I turn them off, it dissapears). The MacBook's never shut down on me yet!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.