X11 on preinstalled 10.4.x?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 1.8GHz Intel Duo, 1.25GB RAM, CD-RW/DVD, 13" LCD, hideously scratched case!
Hello all!

I have had a search on the site and haven't found an answer so I am hoping that you don't mind me asking the question!

I want to run OpenOffice on my MacBook which has 10.4.6 pre-installed (and updated to 10.4.7) but OOo says I need to install X11, but the one I downloaded from the Apple site says I have a new version already install :confused:

Further investigation says I need to install it from the install CD, but all I have is the image CD's to restore the machine and it doesn't seem to be on there.

Can anyone suggest a solution.

Many thanks!

PS I am new to Mac's and OS X so please be gentle with my windows based ignorance!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No, it isn't preinstalled if you ran a default installation...

The version online won't run on your version of OS X though, you need to insert your discs and select 'Install additional/bundled software'.

Then you can either choose which bits you want to install, or it will install a utility in your utilities folder that will let you do so.

Alternatively check out NeoOffice/J - Openoffice goodness without the X11 mess:
http://www.neooffice.org/

OpenOffice should be released in a native version in a while anyway, so hopefully you won't need to bother with X11 any more in a few months.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 1.8GHz Intel Duo, 1.25GB RAM, CD-RW/DVD, 13" LCD, hideously scratched case!
Cool, thankyou for your help :D

Hopefully as I learn more I can return te favours I will be asking over the next few months :D

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.