• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Adobe After Effects vs Shake

Reaction score
Hi, I'm considering buying a software for making visual effects on my videos. Just wondering if anybody uses After Effects or Shake? And if so, which would you guys recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Hi,

I use After Effects ALL the time, even for emailing and listening to music (joking)

I do like it alot, and version 7 has a lot to offer, but having used After Effects for so long, I feel like I have ran into a brick wall. Plus, I am very very interested in learning shake, been looking at a few classes on it. It is just the layout and workflow of AE is a bit long, in that, I find myself jumping between programs with it all the time, plus I do a lot of Chroma Key work, and Tracking work, both of which have been very time consuming in After Effects. I have had a go on other compositing titles, and in these, it is like, click and pop, out comes your green screen, or click, and it scene is steady again.

I dunno. try the trial After Effects and see for yourself, I don't honestly know much about Shake, as I have never used it, but I have watched as many free video tutorials as i could on the net, and have drooled over the way it works.

I hope this helps in some small way, but if you have any specific questions about AE, then please post back, and I will try and answer them for you.

Mel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
you can get things done with both. considering todays pricing shake looks more appealing to me (499 vs 999) AF. AF is very powerful in 2D animations and graphics. you can do the same 2D in shake + very advance 3D.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.